Fermzilla fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if the keg king junior, keg king chubby and the keg king snub nose all have the larger lid why do they only promote the Apollo as having a larger lid ? The larger lid on the Apollo is the only reason I am waiting for it to arrive in the UK. Otherwise I'd go for a snub nose or chubby !!

The king keg junior has a tiny opening and is a real pain to clean. I’ve spent more on PBW that the fermenter cost. I like the sound of the Apollo though.

I have both the Allrounder and the Chubby , I find the Chubby easier to use and it fits in a my undercounter fridge .It was harder to clean but i now clean it with a keg cleaner drill attachment .
Both are great and I still use the Allrounder but the chubby is a more complete kit so is a fair bit cheaper .

The king keg junior has a tiny opening and is a real pain to clean. I’ve spent more on PBW that the fermenter cost. I like the sound of the Apollo though.
That's exactly as I thought, the junior, the chubby and the gen 3 snub-nose all have a smaller lid than the Apollo range. But foxy says no ! He says they all have the same size lids.🤔

That's exactly as I thought, the junior, the chubby and the gen 3 snub-nose all have a smaller lid than the Apollo range. But foxy says no ! He says they all have the same size lids.🤔
My Junior definitely has the small opening but maybe the bigger lids will be rolled out across new generations? Like you I’m waiting for the apollo As it also has a thermo wall and built in handles.

Foxy never said the Chubby and the Junior have wide openings, they are kegs, Foxy said all the fermenters have the larger lid.

Are you including the gen 3 snubs etc? Keg-king give the impression that they are smaller !
The Snub nose will have the wider opening. Doesn't make good business sense to have different lids for different fermenters. I switched to the Apollo from the Snub nose. As for the Chubby and Junior I have both and are easy to clean, just fill with cold water and add a level teaspoon of sodium percarbonate or sodium perborate which has been mixed in hot water and let it do its job.

The Snub nose will have the wider opening. Doesn't make good business sense to have different lids for different fermenters. I switched to the Apollo from the Snub nose. As for the Chubby and Junior I have both and are easy to clean, just fill with cold water and add a level teaspoon of sodium percarbonate or sodium perborate which has been mixed in hot water and let it do its job.
I'm guessing you're talking about the Apollo snub-nosed and not the gen 3 snub-nosed ? It's getting a bit confusing, I've just looked at brew2bottle , and they clearly state that the chubby and junior are both pressure fermenters! but I think they do have the smaller gen 3 lid. Either way I'm not going to risk buying one, I'll wait for the Apollo range to arrive in the UK.
That includes the Apollo snub-nosed and Apollo - 30L Unitank Pressure Fermenter

The Apollo is a different fermenter to the Snub nose. they are different sizes to each other. As most brew 21-23 litres the Apollo is ideal. I use my junior as a keg and sometimes ferment in the chubby. They both have keg lids which are smaller again than the old lids.

The Apollo is a different fermenter to the Snub nose. they are different sizes to each other. As most brew 21-23 litres the Apollo is ideal. I use my junior as a keg and sometimes ferment in the chubby. They both have keg lids which are smaller again than the old lids.
I've just been on the keg king website in Australia and there is an (Apollo snub-nosed ! )And it is most definitely different to the gen 3 snub-nosed (lid size). You've also answered my question now about the junior and the chubby. They do both have a small lid. So I will wait for the Apollo snub-nosed to arrive in the UK 👍👍👍

I wouldn't bother to contact keg king they are hopeless at replying, only replied to me with the rudest customer service reply ever and then had the cheek to call me up and say they were very busy blah blah blah and the responsibility lay with the supplier I bought it from and it was unreasonable of me to have contacted them.
They never answered my original questions just responded to my " threat " to ask about my problem on a forum. That said their products are okay.

I wouldn't bother to contact keg king they are hopeless at replying, only replied to me with the rudest customer service reply ever and then had the cheek to call me up and say they were very busy blah blah blah and the responsibility lay with the supplier I bought it from and it was unreasonable of me to have contacted them.
They never answered my original questions just responded to my " threat " to ask about my problem on a forum. That said their products are okay.
When I asked them about when the Apollo would arrive in the UK , they told me to check with brew2bottle 😂it's a massive shame that we haven't got a homebrew manufacturer in the UK with these kind of products!!

I expect @joiner_8 wishes they had never asked now🤣. It seems that some have a commercial interest here. For what it's worth I have an all rounder. Very happy with it as I can do closed oxygen free transfers. Also, the wide lid makes it super easy to clean by hand. If I wanted to pressure ferment, I am sure that I could - in my tests it holds pressure. I am looking forward to the Apollo coming to the UK but until then, it's the all rounder for me.

Foxy never said the Chubby and the Junior have wide openings, they are kegs, Foxy said all the fermenters have the larger lid.

the full name is fermenter king junior, so I’d say it comes under a fermenter and that’s what I bought it and use it for. Dual purpose I’d say.
If youare just using as a keg then maybe that’s why you haven’t had cleaning issues. I had a Krausen ring that just wouldn’t go. Got rid of it in the end but it was a proper pain. I will be ordering the apollo when its available though!

Last edited:
When I asked them about when the Apollo would arrive in the UK , they told me to check with brew2bottle 😂it's a massive shame that we haven't got a homebrew manufacturer in the UK with these kind of products!!

ive often thought the same, obviously the states has economies of scale but Aus and NZ Seem to be industrious and innovative enough so why is no one producing anything here? especially given our heritage!

ive often thought the same, obviously the states has economies of scale but Aus and NZ Seem to be industrious and innovative enough so why is no one producing anything here? especially given our heritage!
We make virtually nothing here mainly due to cost of labour being too high for the capitalists. Dyson’s an example.

the full name is fermenter king junior, so I’d say it comes under a fermenter and that’s what I bought it and use it for. Dual purpose I’d say.
If youare just using as a keg then maybe that’s why you haven’t had cleaning issues. I had a Krausen ring that just wouldn’t go. Got rid of it in the end but it was a proper pain. I will be ordering the apollo when its available though!
If a dog is born in a stable, it is still a dog. Fermenter King Junior is a disposable keg, as is the Chubby, used by commercial breweries.
Keg King in their infinite wisdom made the decision to offer these kegs to the home brewers as fermenters. As for cleaning I do ferment in the chubby, an overnight soak with a good alkaline cleaner, which most brewers should do Krausen ring or not, will remove any residual **** in the 'fermenter' prior to sanitising. And to put the cat among the pigeons there is also a S/Steel Apollo coming out.
I expect @joiner_8 wishes they had never asked now🤣. It seems that some have a commercial interest here. For what it's worth I have an all rounder. Very happy with it as I can do closed oxygen free transfers. Also, the wide lid makes it super easy to clean by hand. If I wanted to pressure ferment, I am sure that I could - in my tests it holds pressure. I am looking forward to the Apollo coming to the UK but until then, it's the all rounder for me.
I don't have a commercial, interest if that remark was aimed at me, I have the advantage of knowing both parties of Keg Land and Keg King.
Shake hands with Kee, count your fingers afterwards.

If a dog is born in a stable, it is still a dog. Fermenter King Junior is a disposable keg, as is the Chubby, used by commercial breweries.
Keg King in their infinite wisdom made the decision to offer these kegs to the home brewers as fermenters. As for cleaning I do ferment in the chubby, an overnight soak with a good alkaline cleaner, which most brewers should do Krausen ring or not, will remove any residual **** in the 'fermenter' prior to sanitising. And to put the cat among the pigeons there is also a S/Steel Apollo coming out.

I don't have a commercial, interest if that remark was aimed at me, I have the advantage of knowing both parties of Keg Land and Keg King.
Shake hands with Kee, count your fingers afterwards.
Talking of stables 😉 I went straight to the horses mouth for an answer on lid diameters. Here is there reply.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for reaching out.

I quickly measured the internal diameter of the openings for the fermenters in question.
My measurements are as follows.

Gen 3 Snub Nose: ~80ml
Chubby & FK Jr: ~62ml
Apollo: ~116ml

Hopefully these quick measurements are enough to help you.

Let me know if you need more accurate dimensions.

Regards
Keg King Tim

Sent: Saturday, 19 February 2022 8:34 AM

Talking of stables 😉 I went straight to the horses mouth for an answer on lid diameters. Here is there reply.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for reaching out.

I quickly measured the internal diameter of the openings for the fermenters in question.
My measurements are as follows.

Gen 3 Snub Nose: ~80ml
Chubby & FK Jr: ~62ml
Apollo: ~116ml

Hopefully these quick measurements are enough to help you.

Let me know if you need more accurate dimensions.

Regards
Keg King Tim

Sent: Saturday, 19 February 2022 8:34 AM

Presumably they mean mm rather than ml?

Back