Fermzilla fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_8

new to beer brewing
Reaction score
I've been looking at buying a fermzilla pressure fermenter, the allrounder conical fermenter or the fermzilla snub nosed gen 3, is there much difference between the two, my preference is the snub nose, just looking for some feedback

I've been looking at buying a fermzilla pressure fermenter, the allrounder conical fermenter or the fermzilla snub nosed gen 3, is there much difference between the two, my preference is the snub nose, just looking for some feedback
Pretty much the same outcome whichever you use, I have gone over to the Apollo now 30 litre. The only advantage the snubnose or Apollo has is the cone, having the cone means the beer is exposed to a smaller yeast bed.

Pretty much the same outcome whichever you use, I have gone over to the Apollo now 30 litre. The only advantage the snubnose or Apollo has is the cone, having the cone means the beer is exposed to a smaller

What is the apollo fermenter, can you give me some info and a photo please

Keg King's slightly smaller version of the snubnose (the Apollo is 30L, whereas the existing snubnose is 35L+)

It's not available in the UK presently. Brew2Bottle will be your best bet as and when it finally hits these shores.

They do come with a metal stand, I adapted some old keg chimes to put mine in. Another plus with the Apollo is it is made out of the same pre form as the Subnose so therefore almost twice as thick.
001.JPG 001.JPG

Keg King's slightly smaller version of the snubnose (the Apollo is 30L, whereas the existing snubnose is 35L+)

It's not available in the UK presently. Brew2Bottle will be your best bet as and when it finally hits these shores.
K.K are in talks with a major European supplier so hopefully you guys will be able to get your hands on all the brewing gear K.K produce.

Thanks mate, how are you finding the apollo

My feedback would be - are you sure that the expense etc of pressure fermenting is worth it for you?

There is a whole industry out there trying to convince you that you need their (expensive) kit.

You describe yourself in your profile as "new to beer brewing". I would suggest it's not a good idea to become a kit junky - why do you need a pressure fermenter? What will it do that you can't do without it?

If you can't answer those two questions fully, I would suggest that you just keep it simple until you have mastered the whole process and are unhappy that one bit of it, that can only be fixed by pressure fermenting, is spoiling your enjoyment of the beer you make.

I have never pressure fermented and am very happy with the beer I make

I have brewed a lot of kits over the passed two years and Happy with my setup, but just thought pressure pressure fermenting was the way to go, I'm a bit unsure about allgrain it seems to be a lot more work, what would be the advantage of buying a fermzilla

I have brewed a lot of kits over the passed two years and Happy with my setup, but just thought pressure pressure fermenting was the way to go, I'm a bit unsure about allgrain it seems to be a lot more work, what would be the advantage of buying a fermzilla
Seriously, and with respect :hat:, I would suggest that you master all grain brewing first. i.e mash efficiency, different malts, mash timings, hop timings, recipes, yeast profiles and attenuation and lot's more

Unless you want very hop forward beers I really suggest that pressure fermenting is not your priority

Either way just enjoy the hobby - and keep sending me samples of your brews please acheers.

Good advice from @Obadiah Boondoggle above.

I think it also depends on what you're brewing. If it's mostly traditional ales, a pressure fermenter will give you nothing over a bucket, lid and airlock. If you're doing more modern, hop forward beers, the main advantage of a pressure fermenter is the ability to keep a closed system and to transfer the beer without exposure to air.

I have a couple of snubnoses, a SS brewbucket and some other bits, but without a doubt my favourite fermenter is a Fermonster, which is really just a PET carboy with tap.

Good advice from @Obadiah Boondoggle above.

I think it also depends on what you're brewing. If it's mostly traditional ales, a pressure fermenter will give you nothing over a bucket, lid and airlock. If you're doing more modern, hop forward beers, the main advantage of a pressure fermenter is the ability to keep a closed system and to transfer the beer without exposure to air.
Hi BR - how are you? not seen you for a while

Thanks for the info guys I'll give it some serious thought cheers 🍻

Just to add to what @Obadiah Boondoggle says - I had a Fermentasaurus for a couple of years and didn’t really think it was worth it, until I started kegging and now I think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

Benefits of pressure fermenting compared to the faff of bottling with part-carbonated beer from a pressure fermenter without external CO2 are slim to none.

If you are kegging, however, (especially if you like making NEIPAs and lagers) it’s a game changer.

I bought an all rounder - not so much for the pressure fermentation side of things (I am happy with the beers I make), but for the ability to easily do closed transfer to keg of NEIPAs. The reason I went for the all rounder over the fermenter king gen 3 was solely the wider opening which makes for easier cleaning.

What Mick Dundee said lagers, NEIPA are fine for pressure fermenting, Belgian or English ales are not suited, Marstons commissioned Heriot ans Watt university to carry out a study on pressure fermenting and it came back negative.
The idea is to put some carbonation into the beer, I am with the group that says that the beer just feels better. You have only to look on the 'What are you drinking tonight' thread to see the difference of a naturally conditioned beer to a force carbonated beer.
Some good information here on when to apply pressure.
https://discussions.probrewer.com/f...0-what-is-the-purpose-of-capping-fermentation

The fermzilla range do have a larger lid making it easier to clean. At the moment the keg king range have a smaller lid apart from the new Apollo range.
If like me you're in the UK, the Apollo range hasn't arrived yet.
I use a fermzilla 27 l conical with dump valve and collection jar. I do like it but if you're just bottling, it will add complications.
Are you using corny kegs ? If your answer is no and you start pressure fermenting, you will very soon be looking at kegging and kegerators!!

The fermzilla range do have a larger lid making it easier to clean. At the moment the keg king range have a smaller lid apart from the new Apollo range.
If like me you're in the UK, the Apollo range hasn't arrived yet.
I use a fermzilla 27 l conical with dump valve and collection jar. I do like it but if you're just bottling, it will add complications.
Are you using corny kegs ? If your answer is no and you start pressure fermenting, you will very soon be looking at kegging and kegerators!!
All the KK range of fermenters has the larger opening.

Back