Fermzilla lid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackemBrew

Reaction score
Looking for some advice.

Done my first brew in my fermzilla, all went well, pressure transfered into secondary, all fine, went to clean the fermzilla and the lid was stuck solid! Not the collar that screws round, the lid that makes the seal.

I ended up having to "pop" the lid with come co2! Any recommendations on how to get these out! I've seen a few people suggest keg lube but my understanding was this is actually used to form a tighter seal.

Any thoughts?

Had mine 18 months and it's still stiff, I guess it shows it's a good seal. I put fingers behind the neck and push the posts with my thumbs and it eventually unseals

Had mine 18 months and it's still stiff, I guess it shows it's a good seal. I put fingers behind the neck and push the posts with my thumbs and it eventually unseals

Yeah, it does have a great seal. So you push the lid into the vessel, correct? I took the posts off and tried to pull it up with my fingers!! Also tried to pry it open with something but felt like I would damage it

Since I saw YouTube video where they suggested using some gas, I’ve done it every time since. Just make sure the collar has enough thread engaged so as not to send it flying into your ceiling

Have you put any lube on the seal?

No not this time, that's what I was querying in my original post. I have seen people mention it but my understanding of keg lube is that it increases the seal :confused.:

Is the issue the lid sticking, rather than sealing? The collar provides pressure on the lid to cause the seal. In theory without the collar in place the lid should lift off easily.

I'd try a small smear of lube before your next brew and see how you get on.

Is the issue the lid sticking, rather than sealing? The collar provides pressure on the lid to cause the seal. In theory without the collar in place the lid should lift off easily.

I'd try a small smear of lube before your next brew and see how you get on.

Any recommendations on which lube to use? There's a question I didn't think id ask someone on a forum!!!

Basically when I push the lid in it goes absolutely solid, which is great, attach and tighten the collar. Then when I've loosened the collar the lid is fixed in the opening and will not budge. Its almost like I wouldn't even need the collar

Looking for some advice.

Done my first brew in my fermzilla, all went well, pressure transfered into secondary, all fine, went to clean the fermzilla and the lid was stuck solid! Not the collar that screws round, the lid that makes the seal.

I ended up having to "pop" the lid with come co2! Any recommendations on how to get these out! I've seen a few people suggest keg lube but my understanding was this is actually used to form a tighter seal.

Any thoughts?

I stick a couple of spare disconnects on each of the two posts and use those as "handles" to give me some purchase while I heave away. I think I might risk trying the screwdriver in future.

I have the same issue and use a small pin hammer in one of the holes to lever off. doesn't take much force, so I'm happy it wont get damaged.

Latest posts

Back