FermZilla

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isnt the sediment container just a small pop bottle and you can screw whetever size pop bottle you like on?
The fermasaruas ones are small soda pop bottles. The Zilla is a huge container. Not sure if you can adapt them to fit other sizes.

im really tempted to get one of these, but i think it will be too big for my house so no dount the wife will kick it out to the garage.
How would you suggest i keep it at a decent temperature?

I dont think it would fit in my fridge either, so do you think i heat belt would have enough power and even distribution of heat?

What do others do?

im really tempted to get one of these, but i think it will be too big for my house so no dount the wife will kick it out to the garage.
How would you suggest i keep it at a decent temperature?

I dont think it would fit in my fridge either, so do you think i heat belt would have enough power and even distribution of heat?

What do others do?
Are you referring to the Fermzilla or Fermasauraus?

That also has a cooling / heating coil in it. thats very intresting. I dont get why they would go back to a small neck at the bottom. thats one of the hangups that it blocks. @foxy where did you get this info?

Are the fermzilla reports coming back that its rubbish then?

On an Aussie forum and a facebook page there are some poor reports, stress fractures where the screw threads adjoin the body and the other things I mentioned. I think they released them to early before ironing out the problems. There is a glycol cooler being released to go with it along with an insulated jacket and also a 60 litre model.

I've had no issues what so ever. It seals fine and if you dent the PET body... you're mishandling it.

The pet bodies have been coming with dents from the manufacturing process as the fermzilla is blown in the mould if the air inside the mould doesn't evacuate it forms a bubble, so as it cools it forms a permanent dent.
Have you got the pressure kit and tried it under pressure?

The Ferm3 though, looks great, but I'd still go with the FermZ because of the wider neck at the bottom of the conical and the bigger sediment container.

As I mentioned, I believe it is having a triclover fitting so a 90 degree bend can be attached just release all the trub in one go. I like the idea of the plunger gets rid of a cleaning issue with the butterfly valve.

Anyone know if there is a video guide for siphoning beer from the fermzilla?

Do you have the floating dip tube? If so, hook up your CO2 to the gas post, and the liquid out post to the liquid post on your corny and push out with a 3-4 psi. If you don't, then just siphon the usual way I guess...

Do you have the floating dip tube? If so, hook up your CO2 to the gas post, and the liquid out post to the liquid post on your corny and push out with a 3-4 psi. If you don't, then just siphon the usual way I guess...
I don't have CO2 or corny, just bottles. Guess it will just have to be normal way then.

I was also wondering how to bottle if not using the pressure kit. I guess it's possible to get a hose barb and attach to the collection cup ports. @Brew_DD2 to bottle/transfer under pressure using the dip tube, do you need to have a CO2 input? Is there not enough CO2 from the beer to push it out?

I was also wondering how to bottle if not using the pressure kit. I guess it's possible to get a hose barb and attach to the collection cup ports. @Brew_DD2 to bottle/transfer under pressure using the dip tube, do you need to have a CO2 input? Is there not enough CO2 from the beer to push it out?

If you've fermented under pressure you'll have enough to push the beer out but the pressure will be too high. And if you release the pressure to a manageable level then I doubt you'd have enough to get all of the beer out.

I'll be bottling my first beer from the FermZilla on Wednesday next week. So I will leave a rather inexperienced, but hopefully in depth review.

As stated above you will not have enough co2 to transfer you will need to get a co2 bottle or use
a syphon.

Went in my LHBS yesterday where the Fementer King (name change from fermentasaurus) was in use fermenting a lager using a small 12 volt chiller, which is pretty impressive if you don't want a fridge.
Apparently Keg King are going to be selling the kit for converting the FermZilla to the plunger set up, so that bulky butterfly valve can get the Tijuana.

hhhhhhhhh.jpg

Ambient temperature and temperature in the thermowell
001.JPG
Starting to build some pressure
002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up @foxy and @Brew_DD2 . I've been looking into this and some people do bottle without CO2 input, one trick is to keep the beer at <2°c and also expect a bit more waste than usual. I think I'll give it a go without CO2 and see how I'll get on. Do keep an eye out for my next thread "how to use CO2 with a pressure fermenter" :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back