Ferrari Emily replacement cup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcarm

Regular.
Reaction score
I have the red Emily twin handle capper and it doesn't work as well as it used to. When I cap a bottle I have to wiggle the capper to get it to seal properly, and then rotate the bottle 90degrees to ensure it is properly sealed. If I don't do this there are no indentations on the cap at all.

I think it is the crimping cap on the capper itself that is at fault, and was looking at getting a bench capper.

However I have just seen this

http://www.mayandbrett.co.uk/equipment/bottling-machines-and-spares/spare-crimping-cup-26mm-dia.html

And was wondering if a) this would fit my capper, it has a screw fitting, do they all have this? And b) do you think it will solve the problem?

Do you know what size thread it has on it? I've an old cast iron lemon squeezer thing that I wondered about converting to a bench capper.

Actually I've just looked at it and I think it's the metal bits that hold the bottle that have bent. I've tried flattening them down with a hammer which has worked, but the plastic bit they fit into is also bent.

Gutted, I thought I had saved myself nearly £30 then

Are the metal ones better? I don't want to spend £30 on one if I can help it, but don't want to keep replacing them. Had the same issue with a black Wilko one as well.

If you need a new capper, pay the little bit more and get a bench capper. I got a Wilko's one, I know it will not see the year out, but I needed on that day so had to go with it.

Try boiling the whole thing for a while.

Plastic generally has a 'memory' so hoping you haven't smashed the memory out of it with the persuad'er and bent the metal beyond its normal configuration the plastic MAY go back to its original cast form.

You may need to heat it for quite some time. Or put it in an oven. Keep careful eye mind. I don't want you melting it and ruining one of the missus beloved baking trays.

If you need a new capper, pay the little bit more and get a bench capper. I got a Wilko's one, I know it will not see the year out, but I needed on that day so had to go with it.

I've got a second hand probly 5 years old wilko capper. It's hit and miss. I mostly use kegs and swing tops. But I've got a workshop bench to fit the weekend. Vice, grinder, bottle capper. :-) I can see it now. :-)

I've got a second hand probly 5 years old wilko capper. It's hit and miss. I mostly use kegs and swing tops. But I've got a workshop bench to fit the weekend. Vice, grinder, bottle capper. :-) I can see it now. :-)

I've got a workbench in the garage, its just strewn with her shyte though :doh:

You can get the 29mm capping bell, so you'd think you'd be able to get the 26mm replacement too - but seemingly not in the UK.

May be worth e-mailing a few HBS to see if they can get hold of one for you.

Undecided whether to get one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Crow...3932&clkid=5494318000643778082&_qi=RTM2108014

and ask for a bench capper for my birthday.

In all fairness, I bought the Emily a little while ago so got some good use out of it, it's maybe lasted 3 years or so, so I can't complain at that for the amount I use it.

Anyone any experience of the metal ones instead of the plastic ones?

I've got one (possibly 2) of them and they are a hell of a lot better than the plastic wilko ones.

Mind you, I'm moving over to cornies to minimalise bottling as much as possible.

Latest posts

Back