Festival Belgian Dubbel ??

Discussion in 'Member Reviews - Beer Kits and Brewing Equipment.' started by gingerneil, Sep 18, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Sep 18, 2019 #1

gingerneil

gingerneil

gingerneil

Looking for a warming winter brew to kick off when I've bottle up my MG Craft Rye this evening.
    The Belgian Dubbel sounds very nice - but at 7%+ I wonder if its a little too pokey. Has anyone brewed this one (cant find a review here), and how did ti turn out ? I'm looking for something a little dark (but not stout) that will give some wintery spice without being too 'false'. I'm a fan of Leffe Dark - can I expect this to be similar ??

2. Sep 18, 2019 #2

kelper

kelper

kelper

Landlord.

How can you have a warming brew without a decent ABV? I'm not clear what you want. Have you thought of making a nice, hot mulled wine?

3. Sep 18, 2019 #3

gingerneil

gingerneil

gingerneil

I was thinking about something with a little winter spice to it - cloves, gingers etc. The Dubbel is describes as "rich, almost chocolatey fruitcake taste, with dark spicy autumn fruits"... but I always take descriptions with a little pinch of salt and was keen to hear what others had to say. 'Warming' doesn't have to mean high ABV.
    The Festival Winter Spiced look nice too - at about 6%.

4. Sep 18, 2019 #4

kelper

kelper

kelper

Landlord.

5. Sep 21, 2019 #5

Shepton

Shepton

Shepton

I did the Dubbell kit in 2015 (31/10/15) to be precise.
    followed the instructions although I did re-hydrate the yeast prior to pitching which is not in the instructions.
    it had an OG of 1.056 and finished at 1.007 so 6.4%
    It certainly was chocolatey, dark and spicey. definitely a good Christmas beer.