Festival Belgian Dubbel ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_j

Reaction score
New poster and new to brewing

however

I have this Dubbel kit arriving tomorrow and can not wait to get it going

so far my experience in brewing is very limited, last year in summer time I brewed Mangrove Jacks Grapefruit IPA by the book which was lovely, and currently I’ve just bottled the MYO American IPA which so far is looking promising

I’m a lover of a good Euro Beer, be it Leffe, Grimbergen, Hoegaarden...I could go on

but this Belgian Dubbel Kit stood out and I had to jump at it and give it a bash, having looked at reviews elsewhere it’s sounds like a cracker, patience needed, I expect that from any brew but it sounds like this one requires more particular patience to really reap the rewards

anyone had a joyful experience with this?

Brewing from kits is how I started and I think this was the third brew I made. My memory is a bit vague now but I do remember it taking a lot longer than my other two beers (both IPAs) and I do remember enjoying it. It may have been a couple of months conditioning?

I also remember it being very fruity to start and reminded me of Christmas pudding. This faded over time.

I conditioned the beer in a keg and after drinking most of it, I bottled the rest. It got even better as time passed.

I even managed to find a couple of old photos!

Attachments

• 4401EA46-2160-487C-B9E9-19811D5D1A1E.png
    4401EA46-2160-487C-B9E9-19811D5D1A1E.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 5E6D761C-DC16-4716-85E6-82161BD35278.png
    5E6D761C-DC16-4716-85E6-82161BD35278.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 199
Thanks for that Hazelwood

I think it’s currently at the stage of bottling

It’s been fermenting now for 15 days at roughly 19-20 degrees and has been stable at a G reading of 1.010 for 2 days

should I start the priming process now and and get them bottled?

if so, the destructions say to syphon into a new bucket, add the sugar and stir to dissolve.....is that right? It mentions nothing about adding the sugar to boiling water and then pouring into the bucket, it just says to pour the sugar directly in

is there a right and wrong way? Or should I ignore the instruction and put the sugar into boiling water before adding to the beer?

any help is appreciated

If your hydrometer reading has not changed in a couple of days you’re ready to go!

Both dissolving or not are fine but I would dissolve the sugar in a little boiling water because it just makes the job a bit easier and you don’t want to be beating air into your beer at this stage, oxygen is bad for your beer from now on.

Fab kit , I have made it & all was bottled. Conditioned for 3 months & gets better. Brewferm do great Belgian style kits as well. If you like Belgian ales & have patience you will be well rewarded with this dubbel. The brewferm tripel was conditioned for 1 year and was stunning. Enjoy.acheers.

New poster and new to brewing

however

I have this Dubbel kit arriving tomorrow and can not wait to get it going

so far my experience in brewing is very limited, last year in summer time I brewed Mangrove Jacks Grapefruit IPA by the book which was lovely, and currently I’ve just bottled the MYO American IPA which so far is looking promising

I’m a lover of a good Euro Beer, be it Leffe, Grimbergen, Hoegaarden...I could go on

but this Belgian Dubbel Kit stood out and I had to jump at it and give it a bash, having looked at reviews elsewhere it’s sounds like a cracker, patience needed, I expect that from any brew but it sounds like this one requires more particular patience to really reap the rewards
ECA06977-42BC-4560-831B-6172B6234041.jpeg
Here is the 3 month conditioned Festival Dubbel.
anyone had a joyful experience with this?

Thread resurrection time...

Brewed one of these for Christmas drinking a few months back and it had just finished carbing up in a corny yesterday so I thought it would be rude not to have a sample. Wow, I'd be hard pressed to tell this was a homebrew kit if I was served it in a Belgian bar, it's really good! I've made the Brewferm Abdij and Christmas kits in the past but this is on another level. I'm serving it in 250 ml glasses due to the strength so around 71 of them left to enjoy!

Probably the standout kits that I've brewed this year are this and the Festival German Weiss, again indistinguishable from a commercial product. Keep up the good work Festival.

Thread resurrection time...

Brewed one of these for Christmas drinking a few months back and it had just finished carbing up in a corny yesterday so I thought it would be rude not to have a sample. Wow, I'd be hard pressed to tell this was a homebrew kit if I was served it in a Belgian bar, it's really good! I've made the Brewferm Abdij and Christmas kits in the past but this is on another level. I'm serving it in 250 ml glasses due to the strength so around 71 of them left to enjoy!

Probably the standout kits that I've brewed this year are this and the Festival German Weiss, again indistinguishable from a commercial product. Keep up the good work Festival.
I was a bit late to the party with mine - its still in the fv so I’ll be enjoying it in a couple of months 😢

Back