Festival Cider Kit PB?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
I have just brought a cider kit looking though the instructions it talks about bottling but can you PB also?

I recall a post on here saying PB's are not ideal for lagers and fizzy ciders as they require a higher pressure/carbonation.

Pressure barrel should be good to 10 psi (roughly when the pressure release thingy kicks in) so would be okay for cider provided you don't want it too fizzy.

I got hope then So how much sugar should I put in for 30 litres ( that is what it says on the instructions )on the Festive oak cider ) the release thingy goes at 12 psi

I got hope then So how much sugar should I put in for 30 litres ( that is what it says on the instructions )on the Festive oak cider ) the release thingy goes at 12 psi

Err, that kit only makes 23L (5 gallons), 30L is too much for a pressure barrel anyway.

The destructions say 1 rounded teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle: http://www.home-brew-online.co.uk/instructions/festival cider kit instructions.pdf

So a 23L kit would yield around 44-45 bottles (you always lose a bit with the sediment, gravity samples etc.), teaspoon of sugar is ~4.2g so total for the pressure barrel would be 44 x 4.2 = 185g.

This gives a CO2 volume around 2.8 so roughly that of a lager.

Err, that kit only makes 23L (5 gallons), 30L is too much for a pressure barrel anyway.

The destructions say 1 rounded teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle: http://www.home-brew-online.co.uk/instructions/festival cider kit instructions.pdf

So a 23L kit would yield around 44-45 bottles (you always lose a bit with the sediment, gravity samples etc.), teaspoon of sugar is ~4.2g so total for the pressure barrel would be 44 x 4.2 = 185g.

This gives a CO2 volume around 2.8 so roughly that of a lager.
In my view the maximum priming sugar quantity for a 25 litre PB is 100g for 20-22 litres of liquid. Any more and you will start to pressure stress the PB, and yet more still will blow the relief device. And in any case any more than 100g sugar will lead to a back pressure that will initially deliver more foam than liquid until the first few pints have been drawn off and the pressure falls. PBs are fine for lower carbed drinks like ales but as @Frogbrew has said are not really best suited to fizzy drinks

I will stick to bottles then Thanks for taking the time to inform me about the danger and other help

Latest posts

Back