Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good afternoon, hope you guys can help? My primary fermentation bucket has a tap fitted. Can I fill my bottling bucket from this tap or am I best purchasing a syphon of some sort? Also I have read conflicting advise on whether to throw the hops in loose or use the bag provided. Thanks in advance

I'd get a syphon, personally. If the fermenter's full of beer you won't be able to flush through the tap with sanitizer before transferring, so there's a risk of infection there. And if you slosh the beer into your bucket via the tap it'll mix with air, which could cause oxidation further down the line. Plus, it'll be hard to avoid transferring some of the gunk from the bottom of the bucket, resulting in more sediment in your bottles. Syphoning avoids all this.

As for the hops, adding them loose might give a little more flavour, but at the risk of clogging up your brand new syphon when you come to bottle. Pros and cons, really.

Just wondering how long you tend to keep it heated after transferring to the PB? Mine would have been kept at 22c for 2 days as from tomorrow, would this be enough or would you recommend to keep it heated for longer? Only reason I ask is that I got an Evil Dog kit this morning and want to get it going tomorrow but that'll need my heat belt!!!

You could transfer to the base of the bottling bucket via the tap if you attach a tube to the tap, so that you don't splash the wort when you transfer. I'd spray the tap with starsan first, and make sure the tube is sanitised too.

Just wondering how long you tend to keep it heated after transferring to the PB? Mine would have been kept at 22c for 2 days as from tomorrow, would this be enough or would you recommend to keep it heated for longer? Only reason I ask is that I got an Evil Dog kit this morning and want to get it going tomorrow but that'll need my heat belt!!!

I don't use a PB, but once I've bottled I stick them all in the spare bedroom which is quite warm and bring them out when clear - usually about 5 days, then back out into the cold garage
Maybe quicker with a heat belt.
I'll be bottling another batch of this in a couple of days, fantastic pint :drink:

Think I may wrap a towel around it so I can use the heat belt to crack on with the evil dog, on the downside of things the last 2 mornings I've come down to find a bloody great puddle of Golden stag having leaked from the tap seal on the PB, thought I'd sorted it yesterday and it was dry last night but same again this morning :(
Must have lost a good 5-6 pints, on the plus side though the wife hasn't noticed as I managed to clear it all up before she saw!

Started one of these today to complete my summer beer lineup alongside the Youngs AIPA! Made as per instructions so far came out at 1.040 OG so as per previous posts looks like about 4% likely ABV, not too worried about that as I will need a lighter session ale to go alongside the IPA which looks like it will be pushing 7% :whistle:

Hi all, I have a Golden Stag in my FV currently on day 15. Temp a constant 20 but very slow to get to final FG (at 1.012 today). Hops added day #7, so a little concerned this may turn out too hoppy for my tastes, being in there so long? What's peoples thoughts? Brewed this on several good recommendations. Tend to be a lager man

Also does this compare to any commercial brews?

Hi all, I have a Golden Stag in my FV currently on day 15. Temp a constant 20 but very slow to get to final FG (at 1.012 today). Hops added day #7, so a little concerned this may turn out too hoppy for my tastes, being in there so long? What's peoples thoughts? Brewed this on several good recommendations. Tend to be a lager man.

Mine has been in the FV for 3 weeks and I'm going to put it in the PB today. It has stopped at 1012 and been there for a week so I'm guessing it's not going to get to the advertised 1009. My hops went in on day 4 but I put them in a hop bag and fished them out 5 days later. I wouldn't worry about it being too hoppy though. Since last weekend it has cleared completely and a sample jar taste was lovely, if a little bitter.

Just put this on today. Plan to give it three weeks in primary, adding the hops perhaps 6 days before the end.

This is based on my last experience with Festival Landlord, where I added the hops after 5 days, but didn't bottle until day 19 - ending up with a beer that was very hoppy and bitter, that took 4 months to come good.

Has anyone made both who might comment on the difference and whether my approach might work?

Similar experience so far with this kit to those above, nearly 3 weeks in and just about finished fermenting. I put the hops in with the SG at 1015 thinking it would be finished within the 5 days but it has since continued bubbling all the way down to 1006 bit twitchy about the hops being in for 10 days but at least I have managed to achieve the advertised 4.5% which I wasnt expecting! If I did it again I would wait 15 days before putting in hops or just let it ferment out completely. Had a little taster from the test jar yesterday and it seemed pretty good so hopefully no issues with the extended hopping

So its been in the bottle over a month now and have decided its drinking time for this batch! I think it could do with a little longer to help it mellow out a bit (my hops were in for 10 days) but its pretty decent already. Great colour, pours with a lovely frothy head that stays down the glass and has a lovely fruity aroma. Taste wise its a nice light fruity ale with a good level of bittering for my taste anyway, would I do it again? Well that depends on how my experiments with extract, partial mash and AG go..... :mrgreen:

2015-06-09 19.46.52.jpg

So its been in the bottle over a month now and have decided its drinking time for this batch!

Looks really, really good, like you say a little longer in the bottle should take a few of the rough edges off and it will be a winner !

I did a Festival Golden Stag, about a month ago, I think I must have done something wrong, as I don't like it at all. I find it way too hoppy. My local homebrew shop tells me just leave it a while, and it will be fine. I wish I was more confident.

I put mine on in a hot spell, so was unable to keep the temp. as recommended, so this may have affected it.
It's clear, with a good head, and a lovely citrus aroma, but the taste is so hoppy I find it unpleasant (a couple of friends tried it, and agreed with me).

I would put on another batch, but for now I will stick to Woodfordes (I've not tasted a bad one yet).

Cheers.

I did a Festival Golden Stag, about a month ago, I think I must have done something wrong, as I don't like it at all. I find it way too hoppy. My local homebrew shop tells me just leave it a while, and it will be fine. I wish I was more confident.

How long has it been in the bottles/pressure barrel ?

If its only been in the barrel/bottles for a couple of weeks it should settle down considerably over the next month or 2

I put mine on in a hot spell, so was unable to keep the temp. as recommended, so this may have affected it.
It's clear, with a good head, and a lovely citrus aroma, but the taste is so hoppy I find it unpleasant (a couple of friends tried it, and agreed with me).

I would put on another batch, but for now I will stick to Woodfordes (I've not tasted a bad one yet).

Cheers.

I'm drinking Golden Stag ATM, and it is indeed very hoppy - almost medicinal. It's been bottled 2 months now, and is settling, but still too much for the taste of some of my testers.

I was very careful (having done festival kits before) and added the hops on day 16 of 21 in FV.

If I did another Festival kit, I would probably not add all of the hops...

It is better served very cold, and as usual will probably come good just as I finish the last bottle.

Cheers

Martin

I put mine in a pressure barrel, over a month ago now (if my memory serves).
The 'almost medicinal' description would suit mine too.
I can afford wait a bit for my 'Golden Stag' now, as my Woodfordes 'Nog' is now drinkable (despite being much younger), and is proving to be a very enjoyable pint (a bit like Old Peculiar, with hints of treacle and chocolate).

I think Martin, not adding all the hops would be wise. If I do another, I would reduce too. My local homebrew shop tells me some people skip the hops altogether with this kit though it would seem a shame, as they smell so good (a bit like 'Yellowhammer', a local favourite down here in South Devon).
Cheers.

Set the first one of these I've done off 1st April. A week to ferment, a week of dry hopping and two weeks in the bottle. I've just opened my tester bottle and it's already fabulous. Was supposed to sit in storage for the summer but no way it's going to last. I've got two Bulldog kits I made before that [Mexican Gold and Hammer of Thor, I only bought them because LHBS was out of the right Festival kits] sitting ready to drink and frankly they can stay sat, this will be gone long before they get a look-in.

Back