Festival Landlords Best Bitter Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got about half a keg left of this. Did it for Christmas and it had improved by then from what it originally started at. Think it's very tasty beer and hops work well. I'm having a dry jan. ( I'm still coming to terms with this ) but looking forward to trying this Feb 1st and see if it's improved further. Nice beer to sit and sup though I found.

Had a boys night last week, with both St Peters Ruby and Festival Landlord on offer.

Balance of opinion was at 2 weeks conditioning the Landlord was a little medicinal - hopefully the hop character will mellow a bit over time.

20 bottles of Ruby Red were sunk, and 5 of Landlord. I guess that tells the tale.

Iv succumbed to beer in my dry jan. Having just got in from work. Had a cheeky half of the landlord. And got to say it's improved. Not as powerful on the hop side as it was now. Tasting very good I reckon. No more till feb now. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses after another 2 weeks.

i really like the St Peters Ruby. I did it as my Christmas beer and conditioned for 6 weeks before having a single pint. Lovely. I would comment that there is very heavy sediment in the bottle and it took a good time to clear (the yeast doesn't flocc well).

Kegged my Landlords pride last night with 100g of Tate and Lyle to prime - racked off to 10 x 500ml glass bottles with the rest, around 16litres in the keg. Will leave for 2 weeks in the warm before it goes out into the garage to cold condition.

Looks very promising this one, have high hopes indeed.

What am i doing wrong? 4 weeks conditioned so wouldnt expect much but people are saying theirs is good after 2 weeks but mines still pretty pants.

I've only made this once and it's kegged. Kegged it towards end of November to drink over Christmas. Drank some then and it was nice. But have left it during dry jan. Came to an end that moment of madness last weekend and tried it then. Had improved more and it's a nice drink I reckon. So that's pretty much 2 months after kegging. Didn't taste to clever at first and was a bit concerned myself. But it's certainly improved now.

I tasted the pilgrims at the local brew shop he had a keg on the go. Tasted very nice. I'd say Prob nicer than the landlord. But I'd recommend giving the landlord a whirl.

I've been slightly underwhelmed by this. I've made a Landlord's Best and a Father Hook's Best from the Festival Range, and I have to say they both taste pretty similar. Unremarkable, with a grapefruit twang, which hasn't disappeared with time. Both have been in the bottle for over three months, and I haven't noticed much improvement. It may well be that I've messed them up somehow, but other kits brewed with exactly the same equipment and storage have been much better.

Cheers for all the info folks.
Kicked this one off yesterday and looking forward to it after reading all the good reviews.
Gonna leave it in the FV for about 10 days or so before adding the hops.
Prob just gonna add about 3/4 of the hops and only leave for about 4 days based on what you guys have said on here.
Cheers

Im on the third run of the Landlord,cant fault it,but my last one was better,yeast in at 18 degree,run it upto 23 constant for 2 weeks,put the pellets in after 10 days,still bubbling away,then racked into a secondry with finings for 2 days still at 23 degree,then stuck it outside for 12 hrs,then racked into my pressurised barrel with the sugar which i had disolved in boiling water the night before and left to cool,stuck it upstairs at 20 degrees for 2 week,then in the shed.My mates supped the lot !!!!

I have the Endevour on the go at the moment,did one of these when they first came out,so bought another due to the fact it the best beer i have ever tasted but it was a limited edition,so wont be getting anymore.

It tastes far better out the pressurised barrel,than out the bottle btw

Anyone out there brewed a Landlords Bitter kit and then struggled to get the yeast to settle?
I used a packet of Landlords Bitter yeast on two extract brews recently (my kit was made up with a 1698 culture). The second brew used the trub from the first.
My brewing method was the same as previous extract brews and ingredients similar.
They have both struggled to clear, the second worst than the first, but both probably the worst I have known.
Anyone had the same experience?

I have had the Golden Stag in bottles for over three weeks had a sneak taste well a pint and it is superb. Citrusy mouthfeel and a strong hint of grapefruit. This will go to the top of the class and her indoors likes it too!!!

Re comments about TT being like Landlord below is what I received from Ritchies when asking about if they were based on such brews...

Our new Festival range is loosely based on popular British beer styles the recipes have not been based directly on any individual commercial beer. The themes and the names are again loosely based on the sort that would be most at home in real ale house or at a beer festival and are by no way there to imitate a specific brand of beer.

I also have Landlord bottled over a week now and is still a bit cloudy......that matters not it is the end product that counts.
I agree on the golden stagg it's their best kit I think and I've used all of them more than once .

Anyone out there brewed a Landlords Bitter kit and then struggled to get the yeast to settle?
Anyone had the same experience?

Yes. I did this kit twice & both times the result was 'fuzzy' despite leaving bottles in the (cold) garage for "a while"

I have had the Summer Glory kit slow to clear - but it did clear. Got a Landlord on the go now. I split the hops into 3 of the muslin bags and drop a marble into each so the hops sink - then I put another bag over the syphon tube.

Back