Festival Landlords Best Bitter Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mattrickl06 said:
Looks like a fantastic creamy head on there - bottle or keg? and how much priming sugar?

I kegged it mate with the brewing sugar that came with the kit, fermented it slightly lower at 18c than the 20-25c suggested by ritchies

rpt said:
Made this kit on Saturday - now in the brew fridge at 21C. I found rinsing the pouches much harder than tins but otherwise no problems. Hops due to be added on Thursday. Will report back once I taste it.

Checked the gravity tonight. Has dropped from 1044 to 1018 in 5 days, so that seems like good progress. Added the hop pellets. Can't wait to try this in a few weeks time.

So those of you that have brewed this and got to the drinking part (it's a tough job etc...)...Does it taste like Timothy Taylors Landlord?

TT is one of my absolute favs so i'd be ecstatic if it did.

Just kegged this last night and, having tried the contents of the trial jar, I'm hopeful that this will be a cracker. There's a reasonable amount of bitterness but not to the extent of the Pilgrim's Hope, and the hop aroma, while a little over the top at the moment, should mellow a bit during conditioning to produce a cracking pint... hopefully!

_

I brewed a batch of this for my dad who used to pinch his dad's landlord from bottles many moons ago - he loves it.

It is very hoppy, maybe too much for me, but is still a lovely tasty pint, clear as a bell and a cracking head.

Jamthesun said:
So those of you that have brewed this and got to the drinking part (it's a tough job etc...)...Does it taste like Timothy Taylors Landlord?
If it doesn't then this kit does - I've brewed it several time and did an A/B comparison with the Landlord up my local:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=24357

Bit more work than a normal 2 can kit (need to boil up the muslin bag of hops) but no big deal and makes a wonderful pint :thumb:

Hello first post so forgive me if I'm in the wrong area etc....

Just thought I would offer my opinion on this kit........ Buy It!!

I've just taken a sample after only 3 weeks in the keg and I have to say that it's already the best pint I've brewed to date. Granted I've only been home brewing for 4 months but in the time I've brewed 3 batches of Wherry and several coopers Kits... All of which have been really enjoyable as I've experimented with different hops, priming sugars and fermentables along the way and for the most part they have really hit the spot but this.... This is awesome!!

I can't help but feel a little cheated though as its almost too easy!!

I shall definitely be sampling more from the range, I'm thinking the Stag as the summer is just around the corner. :cheers: :thumb:

My update: this has been conditioning for around a month now and the overly citrus bitterness has calmed down quite a bit - it really is a cracking pint now, it leaves a lovely taste on the pallete for many minutes after drinking it :cheers:

Now just have to compare it to my AG Landlord which is in the fermenter at the moment ;)

I've had this in the FV for 12 days and the surface of the wort is still completely covered in little bubbles, which is very different from any of the kits I've done before, which have slowed down on activity well before the first week is up. Lovely smell of hoppy grapefruit too, which is mellowing nicely.

This is my 3rd Festival kit, I'm so impressed with them.
I put my Landlords on yesterday & it was bubbling by the evening! It's going mad now.
I've got a heat belt on it because my house is like a fridge, it's sitting around 20deg.
I'll be kegging this one for a club charity do we have in May, should be nice by then. :party:

Underscore said:
Just kegged this last night and, having tried the contents of the trial jar, I'm hopeful that this will be a cracker. There's a reasonable amount of bitterness but not to the extent of the Pilgrim's Hope, and the hop aroma, while a little over the top at the moment, should mellow a bit during conditioning to produce a cracking pint... hopefully!

Well, I've been having the odd QC sample. It's taken a long time to clear - it's just about there now after ~4 weeks in the garage - but it actually tasted pretty good even when it wasn't completely clear. Now it is a lovely pint: nicely hoppy with a good level of bitterness; in fact, it is probably going to turn out to be the best kit I've brewed as yet. I've still got half a keg of Munton's Old English Bitter to finish first, itself not a bad pint but not in the same league as the Landlord.

_

2yse7e2y.jpg
Golden Stag: an award winning brew! :D

gibb58 said:
Got mine fermenting at the minute. Would you recommend using all of the hops or would you hold back next time?

I would go with around 3/4 of the hops - especially if you have brewed short

gibb58 said:
Got mine fermenting at the minute. Would you recommend using all of the hops or would you hold back next time?

Depends. Mine's been in the barrel for quite a while - the problem wasn't not clearing, it was chill haze from it being too cold in the garage - and it is a lovely pint now. However, if you wanted to drink it a bit younger, I would have gone a bit easier on the hops. The hop flavour was a bit overpowering at first - and I like hoppy beers!

_

I've been disappointed with this kit, especially considering its price. I suspect the problems were caused by old stock from my LHBS although it was in date. It took a long time to clear and I have to be very careful not to pour any sediment. Even after almost 4 months it has a distinct homebrew tang, although it is drinkable.

Moved my Landlords Finest into the cool after two weeks carbonating in a keg. Drew a little off for a taste, still a little cloudy as expected, but I have to say already starting to taste really good, no home brew twang, treated water with half a campden tablet thanks to this site. Back into brewing after about 15 years, and kits have improved so much. Really looking forward to this one improving even more. :cheers:

I made this beer in March and having read the reviews was looking forward to it, the beer is very clear and has a good head, but I just cannot get on with, maybe its down to taste. I find this beer almost spicey in flavour, if that makes sense, it is also very bitter, maybe I over did the hops! I have tried it out on friends and no one likes it, the flavour is just too intense, I probably messed up somewhere. Going to try it chilled this weekend!

I'm starting my landlords finest tomorrow, all being well. It's my first attempt at h/b so quite nervous. Wish me luck lol

I'm starting this tomorrow. My question is should I use an airlock or break the seal of the fv. Everybody's got different views so just wondered how people who have brewed this before did it.

Latest posts

Back