Festival Landlords Best Bitter Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One tip I would offer after brewing a couple of Festival kits, and now starting the Landlord, would be to secondary ferment it. With the added hops there are quite a lot of floaters when its ready. Pop it in a secondary vessel in the cold for a week and most of them will sink, then keg/bottle as you would normally, its worked great for me every time.

Is this the same kit as the father hooks one? Cause i got bought the father hooks best better for my birthday but it doesnt say the word landlord on it anywhere. Hope it is the same after reading the reviews cause it sounds like its right up my street!

Hi folks, just bought this kit today. On reading the instructions I notice it talks about syphoning the brew from the fermenter into a secondery bucket and adding the priming sugar. Now I've never done that before. I usually just ferment my brews in the bucket, then syphon into bottles for secondery.
The question is. Is it ok to do this with this kit? I usually use Coopers drops to prime the bottles. Will htis give me better carbonation than what I normally get?

Thanks for the response in advance (I am very new to brewing so forgive the ignorance) :cheers:

If it's priming sugar, it needs to be a sealed container of some sort, or the gas is just going to escape. I'd go with your standard bottling regime.
If you're happy with the carb drops, fine. We do sometimes see reports here of less than satisfactory results with them, and simple sugar always works. Up to you.

Having done a few Festival kits now I'd say you definitely need to put into a secondary and leave for a week in the cool, you'll need another FV. After adding the pack of hops it leaves too many floaters, even with using the muslin bag, so I would recommend it.

The kit comes with everything you need, for me the pack of priming sugar is too much, I tend to use between 70-80g. For best results batch prime, but you could reconstitute the sugar with say 200ml of water and add 5ml to every bottle..

Oh I'm excited! That's the brew started :D Now the wait ................

So what's the opinion on the Hops in this kit? Just bung them in loose at about 5 days like the instructions? Or any other ways to do it?
Cheers

Mreddster said:
Cheers for the replies guys. Decided to do as instructions say and use secondary with the priming sugar in it.

:)

Just a thought, as old bloke said above, the secondary can mean 2 things.

Either racking into a 2nd FV and leaving it to settle out for a bit without the priming sugar and then bottling or kegging with the sugar

or

Using a 2nd FV to batch prime for bottling where you do add the priming sugar but bottle the brew straight away. I'm pretty sure this is what they mean on the Festival instructions.

If you put the wort into a 2nd vessel with the priming sugar and leave it to stand to clear the priming sugar will get used up as in a secondary ferment but if it's not in bottles/keg you'll lose the co2 build up for carbonation.

On the hops i just bunged them in at the 5 day mark as per the instructions, although i did leave mine a further 2 weeks to clear in the FV.

Cheers

yes priming is done immediately before bottling/kegging...there should be no delay after adding the sugar

Yea that's what the instructions say about priming and that's how I plan to do it :) Figured first time with this kit, least I could do is follow their recipe.

Thanks again guys

el gringo said:
Mreddster said:
Cheers for the replies guys. Decided to do as instructions say and use secondary with the priming sugar in it.

:)

Just a thought, as old bloke said above, the secondary can mean 2 things.

Either racking into a 2nd FV and leaving it to settle out for a bit without the priming sugar and then bottling or kegging with the sugar

or

Using a 2nd FV to batch prime for bottling where you do add the priming sugar but bottle the brew straight away. I'm pretty sure this is what they mean on the Festival instructions.

If you put the wort into a 2nd vessel with the priming sugar and leave it to stand to clear the priming sugar will get used up as in a secondary ferment but if it's not in bottles/keg you'll lose the co2 build up for carbonation.

On the hops i just bunged them in at the 5 day mark as per the instructions, although i did leave mine a further 2 weeks to clear in the FV.

Cheers

I was reading about secondary fermentation on another website just this morning, According to this site the idea is to get the beer off the main spent yeast sludge as soon as it's finished fermenting to avoid it imparting a funny taste into the freshly brewed beer and then to bulk condition the beer for a minimum of one week but preferably two to three weeks is better. They also went on to say the idea of adding sugar ( 75 g in 300ml of water to 23 litres they recommend ) is for it to have just enough secondary fermentation to produce a thin layer of carbon dioxide across the top of the beer to protect it and stop it oxidizing during the bulk conditioning. Apparently after the conditioning period to transfer to your bottling bucket and prime as normal.
Whether any of the above applies to this kit or not I've no idea and it's not something I've ever done or even heard of before, But I might give it a go in the future.

Happy Brewing

Lawrie

Got this in my secondary atm, I corny my beers so I find the secondary helps reduce any sludge in the keg.

So just to clarify.
The general consensus is to Brew the kit for 5 days, Add hop pellets, let it finish fermenting (hopefully about 10days) Then syphon into a second fermenting vessel and leave to stand for a week or so to clear. Then syphon into another vessel to prime with the sugar that came in the kit, then Bottle?keg from there for Secondary Ferment?

I think that sounds like the plan :)

It's started going well after 24hrs, the lid on the bin is bulging up and I can see the dirty line inside :clap:

Tbh you could bottle straight from the secondary avoids the risk of contamination from moving it again, add the sugar with some water and let it mix for 30mins or so.

My process:

Ferment for 7 days.
Add dry hops for 5 days anymore and it tends to go grassy.
Secondary 14 days, I use a wine fermenter as they seal better than buckets, usually I chuck the priming sugar in as well.
Then force carbonate in a corny. :thumb:

Keg-system-new.jpg

Back