Festival London porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffin79

Reaction score
Hi

Been a while since I last brewed but have a festival London porter kit to get reacquainted!

It mentions using a second bucket prior to bottling but I only have one. Can I just add the priming sugar to the finished brew and bottle straight from the original bucket?

Last brew I did I used sugar drops in the individual bottles instead of a big bag of sugar. Is this possible as well for porter?

Thanks

Likewise if you want to use carbonation drops, they should work just fine.

I have always primed bottles individuall, either with drops or caster sugar and a funnel. Drops have the advantage of being extremely quick, but are a) more expensive and b) don’t give you the same level of control as with caster sugar. One drop per 500ml gives a fairly light level of carbonation and weighs about 3 grams.

Thanks all. My carbonation drops are 2 years old so will need to check they are still ok. Otherwise the kit comes with a 90g bag of priming sugar so maybe a level teaspoon in each bottle?

One other thing, should I tie the net bag included to the end of the syphon tube when filling the bottles? I think that's what it's for anyway!

Use up your carbonation drops if you have any. Otherwise they are a waste of money.
If you are using dextrose the priming sugar rate is about the same as for table sugar i.e. about half tsp to suit the style. One level tsp would be too much. Porters are not highly carbonated like lagers and wheat beers so you use less sugar.
More here
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/If you have added extra hops to your beer as a dry hop the mesh sock supplied with the kit fits over the end of the siphon tube to prevent hop bits going forward, and from personal experience works very well.

Yes there is a hops pack included for adding 5 days in. So just tie the bag to the end of the syphon tube, slide it into the bottle and press down the valve as usual?

Latest posts

Back