Festival Premium Old Suffolk, Beerworks Will's Olde English or....?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablosaurus

Reaction score
Afternoon,

Christmas beer prep is going well. I have a Youngs AIPA conditioning in the PB and a short-brewed Mangrove Berliner Weiss Raspberry Sour in the FV. I'd like to contrast these two styles with a hefty, malty British ale. On the shop-bought front, I'm a big fan of Bishop's Finger (and I don't understand why it isn't more popular... it's inexpensive, easy to find and tastes fantastic), and would like to make a similar premium kit. Research has led me to the Festival Premium Old Suffolk or the Beerworks Will's Olde English.

Anyone brewed both and/or have any thoughts to share on these choices?

Also, I'd welcome any other kit suggestions that should also be in the running.

Thanks all!

Both will be decent I imagine as all other beers from these companies have been good.
There may be a few shouts for Wherry but I’m in the minority and don’t like it
I’ll get me coat

I've done both in the past, both good from my notes. Depends what you're after really, the Old Suffolk is a strong heavy beer, not something you'd want to drink loads of, the Will's Olde English is lighter but still in the Old English ale style i.e. the malt is the main characteristic, hops in the background.

You'd be happy with either to be honest. Comparable kits would be Woodforde's Nog, Admirals Reserve, and Brupaks Almondbury Old but none of these are quite as "premium" as the above. As a bit of an out there suggestion have you ever tried the Oaked Rum Ale from the Young's American range? I really like that one but perhaps not quite in the style you're after.

Of all the beer styles out there, I think our humble British ale is one of the hardest styles to replicate in a kit due to the subtle balance of malt and hops. And oh I tried before moving onto Extract brewing and eventually AG. None of the premium kits really did it. The closest I got was using the Coopers kits and tweaking them as per their recipe suggestions ale

Hop Gobbler was a good one Hop Gobbler

If you're ready to take the next step, consider Extract brewing where you do a reduced-volume boil in a stockpot (12L or 15l) with malt extract and hops, you don't really need much else other than standard kitchen kit like a sieve. The beer quality will be significantly better than just a canned kit. Extract Range - Craftybrews - Beer

@ Graz - useful insight, thanks. Of the two then I'm thinking the Beerworks. Glad to hear they're both decent though. Problem is @ Darrellm has put a cat among the pigeons! I was already starting to wonder about a step up from kits. This could be the time...that Exmoor Beast extract kit has me salivating, and I think I have everything I'd need to get it going too.

Last edited:
This could be the time...that Exmoor Beast extract kit has me salivating, and I think I have everything I'd need to get it going too.

Just do it - honestly, it's not difficult. I actually started with Extract, went into the homebrew shop planning to get a canned kit and came out with an extract kit after sampling a bit from a keg he had in the shop. It really is worth the extra effort and Exmoor Beast is a good choice, a mate of mine has done that one.

Right you're on. athumb..

Any guidance on yeast choice? With the Exmoor Beast I have three options to choose from:

Danstar Nottingham @£3.50
WYEAT Activator 1335 @ £7.99
Whitelabs WLP 007 @ £7.99

Without any prior yeast knowledge I'd opt for the Whitelabs, on the basis that despite the vodka martini 'cover' Bond is, obviously, one of us.

Right you're on. athumb..

Any guidance on yeast choice? With the Exmoor Beast I have three options to choose from:

Danstar Nottingham @£3.50
WYEAT Activator 1335 @ £7.99
Whitelabs WLP 007 @ £7.99

Without any prior yeast knowledge I'd opt for the Whitelabs, on the basis that despite the vodka martini 'cover' Bond is, obviously, one of us.
Forgive me but I can't see the logic in spending £8 on a pack of yeast, when the chances are you won't use it again (say by yeast harvesting), it probably makes up a sizeable portion of your total cost, and it won't make a significant difference to how your beer turns out. The Nottingham is fine and is the go-to for many homebrewers in its various guises as GV12, Wilko ale yeast, or even probably CML Midland, especially since one of its attributes is that it packs down well.
I'll get me coat.....

No forgiveness needed - there was no logic. As I said, I don't know what I'm doing on this front so any guidance is welcome. In the past I've just pitched whatever yeast came in the kit. With this extract gig I have to choose from the above three.

No forgiveness needed - there was no logic. As I said, I don't know what I'm doing on this front so any guidance is welcome. In the past I've just pitched whatever yeast came in the kit. With this extract gig I have to choose from the above three.
Just to throw another spanner in the works. I use DME in quantity since I do partial mash beers (and prior to that extract beers). I buy my DME and all my other ingredients loose from the the Homebrew Company as well as CML for hops and yeast. It gives me the flexibility to make up recipes. Whilst I can see the logic in buying made up kit like those from BrewUK, because its convenient, it does seem to me to be an expensive way of doing things. Especially since you will be faced with a delivery charge unless you are buying lots of stuff and can attract zero delivery costs. So all you are in effect buying is a bag/box of the ingredients which someone has put together for you (but you can do that yourself) with a set of instructions which advise the hop addition times, which prior to purchase you don't know but can probably work out. Otherwise there is no mystique in extract brewing as you will find out.
Finally if you buy your ingredients loose you can make up any recipe to whatever volume suits your set up. In other words you are freed from the restrictions of kit brewing.

Yup - I can picture myself having a lovely time strolling those paths at some point in the future. Right now, though, the convenience is worth the few extra quid!

Latest posts

Back