Festival Pride of London Porter, priming question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Reaction score
With this kit (my first) it comes with priming sugar and suggests syphoning the beer into another 5 gal container and mixing in all of the sugar. Then fill all of my bottles from this container.
I am just worried about getting all the sugar thoroughly mixed before bottling, does anyone desolve the sugar in hot water first to aid mixing, or should I just prime each bottle as I have always done?

I bring some water up to boiling, turn off the heat, mix in the sugar, and add it to the bottling bucket when I start the siphon from the fermenter.

It will likely be brewing sugar as well, if you just tip it into the bottling bucket and syphon on top your likely 99.99% ok, it dissolves really quickly as its a fine powder. Never had any problems this way.

Though go with rooks suggest if your worried, it makes 100% sure your dissolved and what I would do if I was adding sugar pre fermentation

This is called batch priming. The sugar will dissolve in the liquid - it is designed to do so. Stir and pour sugar at same time to avoid clumps.

I have 2 Fermentation buckets, both with taps. I always batch prime, I boil up about 400ml of water and then add the brewing sugar. I give it a good stir to dissolve all the sugar and then pour it into the the bottom of the bottling bucket. I set the Fermentation Bucket up on a table and fix a tube to the tap and feed it down to the bottom of the bottling bucket. I open the tap and transfer the beer over. After I give the beer in the bottling bucket a gentle stir to make sure it is mixed. Then I lift that bucket up and fit a bottling wand. It works well.

Thanks guys, I have already added the sugar, as suggested by dissolving in boiled water. My possible mistake from further reading is that in my attempt to thoroughly mix I may have stirred it too vigorously.
Now I am thinking about oxidation issues, for my next brew should I be worrying?
I had even considered flooding the decanting bucket with CO2 while I stirr so preventing Oxygen being introduced.

Thanks guys, I have already added the sugar, as suggested by dissolving in boiled water. My possible mistake from further reading is that in my attempt to thoroughly mix I may have stirred it too vigorously.
Now I am thinking about oxidation issues, for my next brew should I be worrying?
I had even considered flooding the decanting bucket with CO2 while I stirr so preventing Oxygen being introduced.

Id suggest your unlikely to notice unless you beat the đź’© out of it.

Back