Festival Razorback IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane Walker

Reaction score
I am very new to this home brewing lark - but enjoying it very much. My first was a Youngs American IPA which I have to say tastes amazing... Thought I would try a different one and have now made a Festival Razorback IPA. My question is... it seemed to stop fermenting after about 10 days and the Gravity reading was 10.10 (giving me a ABV of 5%) for two consecutive days. So I have syphoned it into a second bucket with the priming sugar with the intention of letting it settle a bit and then bottling after 24 hours. Problem is that it appears to be fermenting again - should I leave it? If I do, would I have to add more sugar just before bottling... This brewing is a minefield!!! Many thanks in advance for any advice.

It'll be the priming sugar that is starting to ferment - the priming sugar is normally added when you put the beer under pressure, either in bottles or a pressure barrel, such that the CO2 that is being produced carbonates the beer rather than escaping. I would say get it in the bottles now, otherwise you're losing carbonation! Or let it ferment out, accept that the ABV will be a bit higher, and add some more priming sugar when you do bottle.

Thank you - that was very prompt!! Decision made, tonight I am bottling!! The American IPA that I made prior to this one came out at 6.7% which is a bit on the high side so I'm too concerned that this is a little lower. Again, many thanks.

I was prompt, because I'm procrastinating on other things.

You're about on target for that kit - it's estimated to come out at 5.7%. That's based on a FG of 1.009 (depending on how accurate you've been with the hydrometer, you might already be there) and the priming sugar will add around 0.3-0.5% alcohol.

The kit manufacturers always seem to be optimistic with the projected abv shown on the packs. I have found that I am usually about 0.5% down on the advertised abv. The only ones where I've exceeded the estimated abv have been the Youngs American ales and Bulldog Four fingered Jack

The kit manufacturers always seem to be optimistic with the projected abv shown on the packs. I have found that I am usually about 0.5% down on the advertised abv. The only ones where I've exceeded the estimated abv have been the Youngs American ales and Bulldog Four fingered Jack

I've generally got there or thereabouts with kits, assuming 0.5% is added when priming. However, the OG of the Young's ORA that I set off at the weekend was only 1.051 which is too low to hit the claimed 6.5% on that one. Not sure what went wrong there.

I realise its a bit late now but I always find the festival kits take longer to ferment out than the instructions say typically 3 weeks for me. I would suggest leaving it a little longer in future. It was a lovely beer one of the best kits I have done. I'm doing all grain now but if I ever needed to do a quick kit it would be this one.

Latest posts

Back