Festival razorback ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Moved up from my last post which was dry hopped Wilco golden ale which I dry hopped and was really pleased with. Thought I’d move up in the world. Kit looks good contains everything even Muslin bag to get rid of the hops. It’s bubbling away much more than the Wilco did but I pitched at a higher temp. I won’t touch this one. Fingers crossed. By the way the Wilco I drank in a week. Kept three bottles back to check if they improve with age. May try a grain next.

Hi folks,
I am a novice, I have started a razorback kit 7 days ago, it’s still bubbling every 90 secs,
The instructions say 5 days then hop then a further 5 days till bottling,
I’m going away so my question is...can I leave it 14 days until I add the hops?
Will the extra fermentation help or spoil the brew?
Thanks in advance

Cheers Dave

Hi folks,
I am a novice, I have started a razorback kit 7 days ago, it’s still bubbling every 90 secs,
Thanks in advance

Cheers Dave
Hi. I too am a novice ish. I let my go for 11 days. It was not moving that much about 1010 that was Wednesday. This morning I think is finished about 1008 so will probably move to second fermentor for bottling on Monday. That’s about 15 days in all.

Hi folks,
Thanks in advance

Cheers Dave
Yes so mine should finish about 5.5%.

Several weeks gone and it’s nice. Needs more fizz but that is my fault. Probably go for 170 g next time not 100. Managed to keep 24 bottles so hopefully try them in three months.

Probably a little late now but in my experience it’s when not how long your hops are in. After 14 days is/would have been fine, in fact that would be the minimum I would ferment for. Hops are best added for between 3/5 days ideally in a muslin bag.
You are joking about drinking day after priming right? Try the bottles you’ve put by after a month and il think you’ll see and taste a big difference. As for 170 - gms of sugar?

Probably a little late now but in my experience it’s when not how long your hops are in. After 14 days is/would have been fine, in fact that would be the minimum I would ferment for. Hops are best added for between 3/5 days ideally in a muslin bag.
You are joking about drinking day after priming right? Try the bottles you’ve put by after a month and il think you’ll see and taste a big difference. As for 170 - gms of sugar?
I’ve kept 24 bottles back. Quite flat but very hoppy. Lots the peach taste.

How did you prime, batch or bottle? And did you give them 2 weeks warm and then cold condition?
Please don’t think I’m patronising, it’s easy to miss the small details that can make the difference:beer1:

Primed the bottling bucket. Left for 24 hours by mistake then added to bottles fizzy. This it’s not too fizzy. Only used 100g dextrose.

That may be your problem then, most of your carbonation escaped in that 24hrs.
The cool box may help, if there’s a next time prime and bottle/keg at the same time, then leave to condition for two weeks at a similar temperature you fermented at then move to somewhere cool for a couple of weeks, then try the difference.

Similar problem to the above but slightly different. The instructions told me to add the hop pellets after 5 days, which I did. It then says to leave the beer to ferment for a further 5 days, however, it's still fermenting away after 7 days.

My question is will the hops being in there for perhaps 10-12 days spoil the taste and should I rack it now to avoid that or will it make little difference if I leave it until it's fermented out?

Thanks for any advice.

My question is will the hops being in there for perhaps 10-12 days spoil the taste and should I rack it now to avoid that or will it make little difference if I leave it until it's fermented out?
Thanks for any advice.
I always leave the beer to finish fermenting before I add hops. 5 days in plus a further 5 with hops is seems far too optimistic. After about 10 days for a 'normal' beer would be about right for me, plus a further 6 days with the hops.
As far as leaving it longer than a week on the hops some will say it starts to spoil, others will say it makes no difference provided it's not weeks. I suggest you leave it for 10 days and if its not finished rack off as you say. Either way don't be tempted to bottle it too early.

Thread revival!

I've started this same kit, first one in a long time. Didn't have an airlock when I need before so the amount of bubbling is causing me a mixture of joy and also concern.

The yeast was added less than 36hrs ago, but the barrel is bubbling away, about every 10 seconds or so. Although I'm kind of hypnotized by it, I'm also worried that is a bit too active. Would this be about right fit the early stages of fermentation? It's sitting at an indicated 22°C and there is a line of krausen about 2" above the liquid

Thread revival!

I've started this same kit, first one in a long time. Didn't have an airlock when I need before so the amount of bubbling is causing me a mixture of joy and also concern.

The yeast was added less than 36hrs ago, but the barrel is bubbling away, about every 10 seconds or so. Although I'm kind of hypnotized by it, I'm also worried that is a bit too active. Would this be about right fit the early stages of fermentation? It's sitting at an indicated 22°C and there is a line of krausen about 2" above the liquid
All sounds fine to me. athumb..
36 hours in usually corresponds to the most vigorous part of the primary, the yeast has multiplied and there's plenty of sugary food available for it to chomp on.
But you have a slightly cooler place (say about 19/20*C) that might be better, although that's not too important.

athumb.. cheers
Sounds good. I topped off the airlock a little, that's slowed down the bubbling to something which seems more realistic.

Look forward to getting to the hopping phase

Back