Festival steam beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rento

Reaction score
I kegged a steam beer In a corny about 3 weeks ago after 2 weeks primary and 3 weeks secondary. It doesn’t seem to clearing, taste great though!

Any ideas on how long it’ll take to clear?

Thanks

I kegged a steam beer In a corny about 3 weeks ago after 2 weeks primary and 3 weeks secondary. It doesn’t seem to clearing, taste great though!

Any ideas on how long it’ll take to clear?

Thanks

Sounds like either a protein or hop haze to me. Yeast would surely have dropped out by now?

Can you give some details on the brew. Especially around the boil, the chill and any post boil hopping?

On the plus side, hazy beer can still be OK.

It was the festival kit, so dry hop for final week in the secondary. Its cloudy almost like a wheat beer, I suspect maybe hop particles although I used a miuslin bag and was careful when kegging.

In retrospect I should have cleared it with gelatine......I presume I’m too late for that now? If I release all the pressure and put in finings, let it clear for 24 hours and then re-Gas would that ruin it?

I don’t want to ruin it as it tastes great...although after a pint last night there were interesting sents emanating from by nether regions this morning ;)

An update! It’s pretty much cleared now, well as much as I reckon it’s going too. It’s turned out to be a fantastic beer, not so much steam beer but hoppy IPA. Reminds me of some of the Brewdogs I’ve tried.

If IPA and hoppy are you’re thing give this one a go, you won’t be disappointed

It’s turned out to be a fantastic beer, not so much steam beer but hoppy IPA.

Interesting - that's not how I'd describe mine, the hops come through but not in a nice way. I wouldn't call it an IPA although I'm not familiar with steam beers so don't know if it fits that descrition. The kit description says "herbal hop character" and I think I'd agree, must be the generous supply of Northern Brewer hop pellets for the dry hop.

I was pretty underwhelmed with this kit and wouldn't do it again.

Latest posts

Back