FFS!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamaman

Regular.
Reaction score
So I got myself 3 bottles of Bengal Lancer to cultivate myself some tasty Fullers yeast.
Drank the beer, salvaged the yeast and made a 100ml starter. All went well.
Stepped it up with another 100ml - things now really looking up - krausen and then some nice yeast at the bottom.
Righty-ho - time to step this baby up to a litre, right?
No.
A bug has managed to crawl in under the foil and drown in my starter. You little sod!

So, back to square 1 I guess.

A bug has managed to crawl in under the foil and drown in my starter.
That happened to me and in a rage I threw the starter into the garden... and then realised my stir bar was in it. And it was never seen again.

Today I smelled some quite nice vinegar in the brew freezer and the drip tray under a demijohn was full. Turns out the dj has a crack and the beer is slowly leaking out. So it's FFS for me, too. Beer is fine.

That happened to me and in a rage I threw the starter into the garden... and then realised my stir bar was in it. And it was never seen again.

Today I smelled some quite nice vinegar in the brew freezer and the drip tray under a demijohn was full. Turns out the dj has a crack and the beer is slowly leaking out. So it's FFS for me, too. Beer is fine.

That sounds exactly the sort of thing i would do. I kicked over and smashed a dj of beer in my garage that must of been over six months old. The smell was revolting.

Might not be lost, the bug would add bacteria, but if you step the starter up again in a hoppy wort you may negate any effect of the bug.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
........... in a rage I threw the starter into the garden... and then realised my stir bar was in it. And it was never seen again.

One of these little telescopic magnets is an absolute boon for recovering lost and misplaced Stir-Bars.

IMG_0583.jpg

My own Stir-Bar crime is that I have twice thrown it into the wort when pitching the yeast.

Luckily, I've managed to fish it out of the FV without any problems using this little gadget; suitably sanitised!

Get someone with a metal detector to find your bit...
I'd rather have a lost stir bar than have some beardy turn up and go "Hmmm, ferromagnetic substrate coated in a possible PTFE sheathing circa 2016. Typical Chinese mass production but certainly adequate for its purposes given sufficient sanitisation... and possibly you'll reward me with a few of the fruits of its intended labour for recovering this particular sample of miniscurial magic wandage."

Get away from me shorts-and-sandals freak! I'm already jittery just thinking about it.

Latest posts

Back