Fg 1.020 - stuck or just done?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOsprey

Brewing Bad
Reaction score
I'm brewing *pretty much* the Kernel Brewery's India Export Porter from 'Craft Brew' for the second time.

First time I used s04 yeast and carafa II in place of black malt, as I didn't have any. I didn't recirculate the mash, and ended with an OG of 1.042, instead of the intended 1.060. Fg was 1.010, beer tastes lovely, so I thought I'd do it again, but proper, like.

This time I used Nottingham yeast, and the black malt as intended. I recirculated the mash, and got an OG of 1.060. I was chuffed with my accuracy, used the Nottingham yeast, which left a krausen about 15 to 20cm high (the s04 left its usual half centimetre line). A week later it's sitting at 1.020, which isn't a great deal higher than the target, but it hasn't moved in a couple of days, which suggest it's done.

Trouble is, at the moment it doesn't taste nice. It's nothing like my first attempt. It also tastes a lot hoppier, which doesn't make much sense, as I've literally repeated the recipe, albeit scaled up from 12l to 15l.

Grunt.

I probably pitched about 9-10g of the 8.3g of yeast specified by the recipe, and binned the remainder, stupidly. The only yeast I have now is a lager yeast from 2016...

Thoughts?

I'm brewing *pretty much* the Kernel Brewery's India Export Porter from 'Craft Brew' for the second time.

First time I used s04 yeast and carafa II in place of black malt, as I didn't have any. I didn't recirculate the mash, and ended with an OG of 1.042, instead of the intended 1.060. Fg was 1.010, beer tastes lovely, so I thought I'd do it again, but proper, like.

This time I used Nottingham yeast, and the black malt as intended. I recirculated the mash, and got an OG of 1.060. I was chuffed with my accuracy, used the Nottingham yeast, which left a krausen about 15 to 20cm high (the s04 left its usual half centimetre line). A week later it's sitting at 1.020, which isn't a great deal higher than the target, but it hasn't moved in a couple of days, which suggest it's done.

Trouble is, at the moment it doesn't taste nice. It's nothing like my first attempt. It also tastes a lot hoppier, which doesn't make much sense, as I've literally repeated the recipe, albeit scaled up from 12l to 15l.

Grunt.

I probably pitched about 9-10g of the 8.3g of yeast specified by the recipe, and binned the remainder, stupidly. The only yeast I have now is a lager yeast from 2016...

Thoughts?
I recall you recently got a single vessel brewery, did you calibrate the temperature using a good reliable thermometer?
What was the pH, and what is it now?

I recall you recently got a single vessel brewery, did you calibrate the temperature using a good reliable thermometer?
What was the pH, and what is it now?

Hello, yes I did. The temperature was running at 69 when the robobrew said 71, so I now just pitch it a couple of degrees hotter.

I've never tested the pH - I thought that was an 'advanced' thing?

It may all be inconsequential now - I checked the gravity yesterday and it was 1.018. Patience is a virtue, eh!

Patience is indeed a virtue with porter and stout. Black and roasted malts make yeasts perform slower, something I also experienced a couple of times.

Latest posts

Back