FG a little high?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptn_Needa

Chookity-pok
Reaction score
Hi happy brewers

Was hoping for a bit of advice on a Young's American IPA that seems to have stopped a bit early during primary.

OG was 1056 and target (from the instructions) is 1008 or below.
It's been sat at 1016 for 3 days now and isn't budging.

It's been sat in my newly converted beer fridge for 3 weeks and has been between 18 and 18.5 (inkbird probe on the side of the fermenter under insulation).
There is krausen on top about 1/2" thick that doesn't look like it's going to drop.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do?

Things I was thinking I could do.

1 - Agitate/stir to see if I can get the yeast excited again
2 - Pitch more yeast
3 - Leave it

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Not done that kit and now all grain but - its probably done, I would ramp the temp up a couple of degrees - I would go to 20 - 21°C for 2-3 days to encourage the yeast to finish things off and clean up after itself.

Even if it sticks at 1016 you've still got 5.1% ABV so not too bad.

I found kits never really finished as low as the instructions suggested they should, particularly using the kit yeasts !

Hi Spapro

Was wondering if upping the temp might help. Cheers for the hint.

I've never had much luck getting to the suggested FV either. The only time I got there was using a different yeast suggested by the guy in my LHBS.

+1 on upping the temperature. Unless they have changed, kit instructions advise fermenting at 20-24*C so 18*C might be on the low side.
I would give the FV a good swirl as well to move the yeast about, or gently stir with a sanitised spoon.
Many on here have got down to 1.007 including me so potentially you still have some way to go.

I'd echo what's been said on the temperature, 18°C is a bit low for ale yeasts and getting to the point where it could be a bit sluggish / go to sleep. I aim for 20°C with most of my brews.

Up the temp to 20°C and give it a little stir to rouse things, you may get a few more gravity points but if not then I wouldn't be too worried about the 1.016 finish. Have you checked your hydrometer reads 1.000 in water?

Thanks all.

Have upped the temp to 20°C and given it a gentle stir. Fingers crossed the beasties will wake up a bit and get me down towards the 1.008 I'm hoping for.

Also checked the hydrometer and it's spot on in water so some good news there at least :smile:

Will report back on the results :thumb:

Well 24 hours have passed and it's sat at near enough bang on 20°C. The lovely topping that had all dropped back in to the wort following the stir is back with a vengeance and seems very happy at it's new temperature.
Hears hoping it's the brewing yeast doing its job and not anything I may have introduced by accident yesterday.

Just reporting back on the outcome of all this.

It finally settled at 1008 on 20th Sep (4.5 weeks in the FV) giving a 6.1ish% IPA.

I just tried a small glass (just to test of course :P) and I'm so happy with the results I might just have to go and grab a pint. It is by far the best beer I have ever made. Hoppy, crisp and light in colour and it's only been conditioning for 2.5 weeks. So very excited to get drinking this in a month's time.

Thank you everyone who helped me bust this little beauty out.

Latest posts

Back