FG of 1.000 on a Wherry kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russf123

Reaction score
Just bottled a Wherry kit this morning after 2 weeks in the FV. OG of 1.040 and a FG of 1.000, on both iSpindel and glass hydrometer. Am new to brewing but what would cause this? Previous brews have finished at 1.010 and from my research this is the norm. Beer tasted lovely though!

If it tastes good then hey, that's why you brewed it so go ahead and enjoy it. However I would be scrupulous in cleaning kit before the next use because something unwelcome has fermented the sugars that normal ale yeast leave behind.

I've seen gravity's lower than 1k tbh. It does happen :p Enjoy the wherry Sir. It's delicious!

Try them both in water to check calibration: reading should be 1.000.

I've never had a beer go anywhere near that low in over 200 brews, if someone hadn't posted above then I'd have said it's impossible.

Try them both in water to check calibration: reading should be 1.000.

I've never had a beer go anywhere near that low in over 200 brews, if someone hadn't posted above then I'd have said it's impossible.

Well by the laws of physics, it should be impossible or at least the way I understand my physics. But like on my failed strawberry jam wine. So last week I took 'a' gravity reading of that and it said 1040. I took another reading today and btw the hydrometer was totally clean etc 1050. Erm. I think this factor may be just down to temperature changes imho =)

If by any chance the hydrometers are reading correctly and your beer has gone that low I would be checking my bottles every week by opening one to make sure that it is not a infection and producing bottle bombs. As you are new to brewing this is hard to get any beer to go that low and that kit usually tops out at 1.012 to 1.014 so it has dropped 12 to 14 points lower than expected which normally points to a infection if the readings are correct. So keep a eye on the bottles as if it is a infection ( and I hope it is just one of those strange unexplainable things) the chances are they will overcarb.If you open a bottle each week and they start to gush I would store them in boxes/crates in a safe place so if they explode they do not do any damage apart from make a mess or just get rid if you are worried
I hope none of this applies and the beer is fine but you do need to be aware of what can happen whilst brewing

If you calibrated your iSpindel against your hydrometer rather than the long-winded dilution calculator method they will be equally offset. As previously said, check both in pure water at 20C.

IMG_20210227_151615.jpg

An example of infected beer...not my finest hour! Fun to watch though!

Back