FG when over-sugaring ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all.
I am in the midst of brewing up some Festival Summer Glory. It comes with 110g priming sugar, but as I like to use sugar cubes in each bottle, I just chucked the priming in with the main brew at the start. Should I still be looking for the gravity to drop to the 1.009 that the instructions want, or will the extra sugar keep it a little higher? I assumed it would drop as it should all be fermentable, and just result in a slightly higher ABV. Its been hanging around at about 1.014 for a couple of days (I dry hopped on Monday). Is it done, or should I wait a few more days before bottling ?

Sugar is completely fermentable so I would expect to see a lower FG than the predicted 1.009 but the attenuation level of the yeast will also have an effect. I'd give it the full 14 days before bottling

Thanks. Its been in since the 27th, so 14 days tomorrow. I'm not in any huge hurry to bottle - I assume a few extra days wont hurt anyway....

The other thing to do if your a new brewer is to take consecutive hydrometer readings over 2-3 days. If the FG remains stable it's time to bottle. Once you get several brews under your belt you'll be able to 'tell' when it's done and only really need to take one reading. Having said that, I still leave my brews for at least 14 days

I've done about 5 brews now - so still very new to all this in the scheme of things.
I have an iSpindel in the brew, and I can still see a *very* slight down trend on the gravity - so will give it a few more days to be sure and will continue to take a few manual readings too.
(the big mess is where I dry hopped and screwed up the token on the probe so it wasnt reporting properly)
1586421797750.png

Back