Fiery Ginger Beer

Discussion in 'Wine & Cider Recipes' started by rickthebrew, Jan 2, 2010.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jun 1, 2017 #341

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Landlord. Supporting Member

I've just done one with a champagne yeast and drank the first one three weeks after making, it was done fermenting in a week then two weeks to carbonate. One thing I'd say, there's not a hint of sweetness in it. I don't mind it but my wife and mother in law both commented they'd like it sweeter. I know there is cider yeast available with sweetener which might be worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jun 2, 2017 #342

munkian

munkian

munkian

Yeah the champers yeast can really eat through all the sugar. Next time I do this I'm going with an ale or Saison yeast and using a standard FV.

3. Jun 8, 2017 #343

Mapeterz

Mapeterz

Mapeterz

Hi all.

New to brewing so would appreciate a little advice. (This is only my second brew).

I've had this fermenting for just under a week and it's appeared to be complete already? I pitched at 20oc, sustained 22oc through fermentation. My OG 1045 and just done my final reading at 0.992!? Calculating out at around 7% ABV. Would it be right that the reading can be sub 1.000?

I used GV3 yeast and not sure if it's a bad batch or something else but there was a distinct smell of rotten eggs through most of the fermentation. Having lifted the lid today, as there was little activity in the air lock there's still a residual smell of egg. Any ideas why this might be?

Now admittedly I had put the fermenter in the bathroom where sun was coming in, in the hope of raising the temp up a few degrees. When I returned just 30 mins later the thermometer was reading 26oc. Clearly the liquid didn't reach 26oc but I had read that it can produce off flavours if left in direct sunlight? Could that be a contributing factor? Not sure if it's coincidence, the smell only occurred after this bathroom episode to which i returned it to the airing cupboard.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

4. Jun 8, 2017 #344

IainM

IainM

IainM

Syphon-sucking bag squeezer

Hi,
    Yes, hydrometer readings can go below 1.00. Pure water at 20C has a reading of 1.00. Sugar solution is more dense than water, so the hydrometer floats higher and gives a reading greater than one. Alcohol solution is less dense than water, so the hydrometer sinks lower and gives a reading lower than one.

Brewing can produce sulphurous smells. Don't worry about it, it will dissipate with time and should be gone by the time its conditioned and ready to drink.

I don't think direct sunlight would have a big effect on your brew. It can be a problem with beer, as sunlight can cause skunking by causing a reaction with compounds from hops, but as ginger beer doesn't have hops, this isn't an issue.

5. Jun 8, 2017 #345

Mapeterz

Mapeterz

Mapeterz

Thanks for your advice.

Everything you said makes sense. I'll bottle it up and leave it for a while to condition and hopefully I won't be drinking scrambled eggs.

6. Feb 1, 2018 #346

Brewer Mike

Brewer Mike

Brewer Mike

Resurrecting an old thread, but seems to be the most comprehensive ginger beer thread on the net.

I'm normally a beer kit maker, but I love ginger beer, the stronger taste the better, so I've made a batch like this.

1.8kg ginger (half frozen half fresh)
    4 heaped tsp ground ginger
    1kg granulated sugar
    1kg medium malt extract
    500g dark brown sugar
    450g honey
    4 whole lemons
    2 whole oranges
    1 sachet gv12 ale yeast (I think)

It's been in my fermenter a day now but I've started having some questions/doubts in my head, hoping someone can help.

1. Can I sieve/filter the beer into bottling bucket or will this stop me being able to carbonate without adding more yeast (will some yeast get through.)

2. How long is an average ferment on GB, and can I stop it early to retain some sweetness in the drink.

3. I'm using coopers PET bottles, but I normally just barrel my beer, can I batch prime before bottling, if so what is the best way?

4. Will this end up with sediment in the bottles? If so what's the easiest/best way to get minimal sediment.

Thanks in advance

7. Feb 1, 2018 #347

IainM

IainM

IainM

Syphon-sucking bag squeezer

1) Sure, no problem.
    2) It really depends on temperature and pitching rate. You can stop it by bottling and pasteurising, but then it would be still unless you can force carbonate it. Better to backsweeten with artificial sweetener after fermentation, or just add something sweet to the cup when it comes to drinking.
    3) Sure, just bung the sugar in each bottle before filling it up, 0.5tsp to 1tsp per 500ml bottle depending on how fizzy you like it.
    4) Sure, anything bottle conditioned will have some sediment in it, but you can minimise this by cold crashing before bottling.
    :thumb:

8. Nov 25, 2019 #348

Jobo88

Jobo88

Jobo88

I have just tried my first batch of AGB, during the fermentation period there was crackling coming from the FV, like listening to a bowl of rice krispies. it stopped yesterday (after 9 days fermenting), so i decided to bottle it, i passed half it through a muslin net and bottled it, but when i passed the second half, the sediment started mixing up and making it cloudier. will this spoil my brew?

should i have passed the whole mix then left to settle for a few days before bottling?