Filing stainless steel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a 3/4inch thermowell which I want to use on my Klarstein SS fermenter as a replacement for the tap which I never use and just provides a home for nasties. Problem is, it's about 1mm too big for the hole. Is filing the hole a realistic solution or is this something which a friendly metalworking shop might be able to help me with?

I recently bought a 3/4inch thermowell which I want to use on my Klarstein SS fermenter as a replacement for the tap which I never use and just provides a home for nasties. Problem is, it's about 1mm too big for the hole. Is filing the hole a realistic solution or is this something which a friendly metalworking shop might be able to help me with?
I'd probably use a metal cutting cone in a drill, keep it well lubricated and run slowly, the cone will let you take very small amounts out without overdoing it and the lube will stop the ss from overheating and discolouring.....

Harvey

Try and get one that isn't stopped like these, less chance of it grawnching the metal and making your hole too big.....dont forget you'll need to clean the vessel really well afterwards.....https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-cone-drill-bit-set-3-14-8-20-16-30mm-3-piece-set/9031V?tc=PT5&ds_kid=92700055262507123&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwuD7BRDBARIsAK_5YhU5bdDel7ZfnD7Z7f1hb9tgP1FfMIvRqBpV2na_CEfx82EupGfJY9QaApgAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe an option would be something similar but an abrasive grinding cone cutter. I have seen them in dremel sets.

I'm in the process of stainless steel hole drilling at the moment.
I've been starting the hole with a small drill (you are already past this athumb.. ) then gently/slowly open the hole to the required size using a stepped drill as shown above.
The steps seem to be close enough sized that they jump from one 'standard' size to the next.
Should be a gentle couple of minutes job for you.

As mentioned, like many things in life, go gentle and plenty of lube....

Latest posts

Back