Filter after kegging...?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugh

Reaction score
Hello all,

I dry hopped my latest brew but didn't put a little filter bag on my syphon when racking into my corny. I didn't cold crash.

There's noticeable hop matter when I pour - not lots but noticeable. Currently carbed to about 12PSI.

I have another corny that I could transfer into from the first corny. Would putting a bouncer filter (e.g. www.lovebrewing.co.uk/bouncer-in-line-beer-filter) between the kegs and purging the lines work if I wanted to remove the sediment?

Thanks in advance, brainiacs!

I don't have cornies but...chill it and leave it a few days and try again.
This really. You could use finings like gelatin to pull hops out of suspension. You would still get a murky pour for a few beers.

Trick as Clint said is to leave it and not disturb it. You'll just kick it all back in suspension around the dip tube.

In the future you could use floating dip tubes so you are always pulling beer from the top. Might help

I have a bouncer filter and can say it would likely help to remove some gunk.
However, I would agree with other posters who have advised chilling the keg and letting the loose matter settle. Once it's settled you'll pour a few cloudy glasses which will hopefully contain any bits that haven't settled to the very bottom of the keg. This will save you shaking up any sediment that has already settled, having to sanitise more lines/filters/connections and avoid a few extra potential vectors for infection.

Back