Final gravity 1002

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
latest brew after 17 days has reached 1002. Go was 1060. The target OMG was quite low being 1006 to 1010. But 1002 seems crazy.
The malt bill was
4.5 kgextra pale Maris otter,
300g Munich
200g oats
500g sugar

Wyeast 1056 American ale x2

The only other time I over shot final gravity so much it ended up astringent after 2 months and I had to throw it out(sole destroying!) coincidently that was the only other time I have used the extra pale version of Maris otter.

At the moment it tastes ok, not bitter similar to target tropical taste. However it’s early days?

Anyone else had wyeast 1056 get down to 1002?

My Black IPA ended up 1.004 when it should've been 10 points higher. I'm blaming the overnight mash rather than the 1056.

What temperature did you mash at? And are you confident that your thermometer was accurate and that your mash temperature was consistent throughout the mash?

Half a KG of sugar will certainly dry the beer out but 1.002 is still pretty low, especially for an OG of 1.060.

Mashed at 65. Use a Braumeister so pretty reliable although have had a couple of issues with roaming temps, but not more than a couple of degrees.

latest brew after 17 days has reached 1002. Go was 1060. The target OMG was quite low being 1006 to 1010. But 1002 seems crazy.
The malt bill was
4.5 kgextra pale Maris otter,
300g Munich
200g oats
500g sugar

Wyeast 1056 American ale x2

The only other time I over shot final gravity so much it ended up astringent after 2 months and I had to throw it out(sole destroying!) coincidently that was the only other time I have used the extra pale version of Maris otter.

At the moment it tastes ok, not bitter similar to target tropical taste. However it’s early days?

Anyone else had wyeast 1056 get down to 1002?

I understand this yeast strain to be essentially the same as Safale US 05 - the so called "chico" strain. I have had FG of 1.003 several times with this yeast - and with bigger grain bills too.

1.002 is unexceptional, I would say, especially as hydrometers in the hands of homebrewers are "guessing sticks".

From 1061 down to 1002, isn’t that 97% apperant atteuation though? Is that possible with Chico?

I think its very much possible.
1.002 isn't crazy with a large amount of sugar and a lot of yeast.
Generally if you pitch a lot of yeast the end FG is a few points lower.

But to answer your direct question. No, never had a FG that low with anything but a saison yeast.

I would say the attenuation is high but not completely unexpected. With a low mash temp of 65 and 10% sugar, the yeast would have had a party, smashing their way through such simple sugars. There is little that isn't fermentable in the recipe. Being only 4 points off from the predicted FG, if you were slightly out on temp or hydrometer reading that would account for some discrepancy. I'm assuming you corrected all hydrometer readings to account for temperature, and checked the calibration. It isn't unknown for the paper inside cheap hydrometers to slip.

Doesn't look like you've overpitched yeast.

Was there any dryhopping?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How does adding sugar bring down an FG ("drying out the beer")? Surely it just raises the SG. I don't understand how it can turn previously unfermentable sugars into fermentables.

How does adding sugar bring down an FG ("drying out the beer")? Surely it just raises the SG. I don't understand how it can turn previously unfermentable sugars into fermentables.
It doesn't. It does however make wort more fermentable in comparison to an all grain wort of the same OG. Reducing the percentage of unfermentables in the wort. Yeast attenuation figures are guides that are likely to be based on fermenting an all grain wort. An all sugar wort of 1.060 will likely ferment out with 100% attenuation, and thus have a lower FG.

Last edited:
I would say the attenuation is high but not completely unexpected. With a low mash temp of 65 and 10% sugar, the yeast would have had a party, smashing their way through such simple sugars. There is little that isn't fermentable in the recipe. Being only 4 points off from the predicted FG, if you were slightly out on temp or hydrometer reading that would account for some discrepancy. I'm assuming you corrected all hydrometer readings to account for temperature, and checked the calibration. It isn't unknown for the paper inside cheap hydrometers to slip.

Doesn't look like you've overpitched yeast.

Was there any dryhopping?

No dry hopping yet, 50gAmarillo on stand by, as holding back. It’s a big hop monster though with 200g citra/mosaic most of which a hop stand at 75c for 30 mins.

It’s also very cloudy but that could be the oats and hops.

If I keg this, will it infect my keg if it is a yeast infection?

No dry hopping yet, 50gAmarillo on stand by, as holding back. It’s a big hop monster though with 200g citra/mosaic most of which a hop stand at 75c for 30 mins.

It’s also very cloudy but that could be the oats and hops.

If I keg this, will it infect my keg if it is a yeast infection?
This could explain it some more. Hops contain diastatic enzymes, similar to those in malt, that break down starch into sugar*. As you added a good amount of hops at a temperature that was unlikely to denature the enzymes, any remaining starches or complex sugars could have been broken down into sugars the yeast could consume.

Here's an interesting piece about dryhopping and why American brewers use crystal (dextrine) malts and mash at higher mash temperatures when brewing IPAs, to counteract the extra attenuation. http://www.port66.co.uk/dextrins-dry-hopping-recipe-design/

*Possibly, one of the reasons why brewers add a small amount of hops to a cask to aid conditioning. And why historic IPAs were dry hopped despite being aged for a year, before being shipped to India.

Every day's a school day!

I didn't know that about dry hopping.

Last edited:
I'd heard that about diastatic enzymes in hops but my understanding was that 1) the effect was so slight as to be negligible and 2) the enzymes came from the hops seeds. UK hops often have seeds but US hops are carefully controlled so that they are not pollinated and don't produce seeds, so I think its unlikely.

Back