Final gravity 1002

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd heard that about diastatic enzymes in hops but my understanding was that 1) the effect was so slight as to be negligible and 2) the enzymes came from the hops seeds. UK hops often have seeds but US hops are carefully controlled so that they are not pollinated and don't produce seeds, so I think its unlikely.
Possibly, possibly not. Anything to back this up? I'm inclined to believe a respected brewer, the scientific paper and historical empirical evidence.

Interesting that Globalhops describe the process of making T90 Pellets as "Type 90 the row hops are simply cleaned and dried and then ground."

YCH Hops say their whole hops are "never processed" and their pellet hops "Hop pellets are produced from dried, whole leaf hops which have been hammer-milled into a uniform powder and pressed through a pellet die.“

https://ychhops.com/hop-products/whole-leaf-hops

No mention of removing seeds. Seeds in plants contain diastase, it helps seeds do what seeds do. Diastase is also found in milk and saliva.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The seeded vs seedless thing is mentioned in the 1941 paper on this, but it says seedless hops have “less” sacchrifying potential, not “no” sacchrifying potential. Amazing in a way to think people were doing this research during the war years. [EDIT, I just noticed it was submitted before the war started, but published in 1941. So not research done during the war, but peer review]

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...l1&s=a5a5df6538942432bf838ea3218b03d166cd2d1a

Last edited:
The seeded vs seedless thing is mentioned in the 1941 paper on this, but it says seedless hops have “less” sacchrifying potential, not “no” sacchrifying potential. Amazing in a way to think people were doing this research during the war years. [EDIT, I just noticed it was submitted before the war started, but published in 1941. So not research done during the war, but peer review]

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...l1&s=a5a5df6538942432bf838ea3218b03d166cd2d1a
Correct. And also says

"The conclusion of Brown and Morris that dry-hopping in cask produces an appreciable quantity of sugar in a dextrinous beer, and so promotes "after fermentation," has been confirmed."

And not, that the effect was so slight as to be negligible. So likely to account for a proportion of the extra 4 gravity points of attenuation the OP observed.

Last edited:
By the way, back on the topic how to get low FG.

Adding the during during the secondary fermentation instead of during the boil also gives you a lower FG. This is probably the result of a reduced osmotic pressure during the main fermentation.

The interesting thing is i have only ever used Maris otter extra pale twice and both times over attenuated ( last time had do dump it as it because more and more astringent). Re higher mash temps - I did notice that whilst uk recipes tend to mash ipas at 65, the ones in a BYO magazine feature all mashed at 67 or 68c. Next time i use extra pale i think i will do that.

however 97% attenuation with 1056 is still a worry as is the cloudiness.

The interesting thing is i have only ever used Maris otter extra pale twice and both times over attenuated ( last time had do dump it as it because more and more astringent). Re higher mash temps - I did notice that whilst uk recipes tend to mash ipas at 65, the ones in a BYO magazine feature all mashed at 67 or 68c. Next time i use extra pale i think i will do that.

however 97% attenuation with 1056 is still a worry as is the cloudiness.
The cloudiness is probably the 200g flamout hops. I wouldn't have thought an infection would bring the FG down so far in 18 days fermentation. You would have had to pitch a Brettanomyces or bacterial culture for that sort of attenuation in the time frame. As there is no indications of an infection in the taste, aroma or any sign of a pelicle, I'd not worry about infection just yet.

ok cheers, i wont dump it yet then - so wyeast 1058 is capable of 97% attenuation ( apparent) on its own? it was 200g in total but i think maybe about 120g hop stand.

it was a strange brew in that there was lots of white stuff floating around after the hot break that i have never had before- not grain - it almost looked like tiny bits of wet paper- i thought it could have been clumped flour from grain? not sure if this is related at all or just coincidence?

Latest posts

Back