Finally! Bulldog Yule Brew was bottled this week.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDad

'Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat'
Reaction score
It was in the FV for ages even though it was in a water bath around the 20 degree mark most of the time.

It wasn't ready in time for Christmas but it finally went into the bottles this week. I didn't even sneak a taste, it didn't actually cross my mind to taste it, but it did smell very gingery. Looking forward to trying it in a few weeks.

Came out around 6.3%

12510105_10201257758523763_2059993087_o-449.jpg

bulldog_brews_yule_brew-450.jpg

Nice, I don't know how you managed to resist a taste. I think the only thing that would stop me is if my mouth was sealed.

Oh I am a very patient man when it comes to my brewing but not with anything else in life for some reason.

I made this one up for work, and also found it to take forever to ferment.
Was worth it in the end though!

I also made up a Coopers Dark Ale, and added fresh root ginger, cinnamon sticks and orange peel, and it was far superior....

I also made up a Coopers Dark Ale, and added fresh root ginger, cinnamon sticks and orange peel, and it was far superior....

Cheers for that - love your alternative idea too, hmm, may well try that out later in the year.

Love to try the Coopers dark ale one. How much cinnamon and ginger did you add?

Love to try the Coopers dark ale one. How much cinnamon and ginger did you add?

Hi,
Added 3 Cinnamon sticks, about 3" of sliced fresh root ginger, and the pared rind of 2 oranges. Scalded the whole lot with boiling water just to be safe.
Brewed it with 1 kg dark dme and 500 gr brewing sugar...

Hi,
Added 3 Cinnamon sticks, about 3" of sliced fresh root ginger, and the pared rind of 2 oranges. Scalded the whole lot with boiling water just to be safe.
Brewed it with 1 kg dark dme and 500 gr brewing sugar...

Good idea regarding the boilng water. Another thing you could have done (or if Tom H is going to do) is boil the lot up in some water for about 15 mins, cool in the sink, then add everything into the FV - whatever amount of water you use will go to make up your final brewlength

Yule Brew is ready. At 6.3% this is not your usual session brew Even though it is heavily laced with cinnamon and ginger this Xmas brew is pretty potent. A couple of pints roughly equals a full bottle of 12% wine. Wicked stuff!

Lovely tipple but pretty intense. Three or four pints is my limit. Lovely drink, heavy and great head retention.

12575801_10201302502042323_1967224588_n-454.jpg

How long did you leave yours in Fv - mines had just over 2 weeks now, looks like it could happily sit for longer, but I'll probably bottle tomorrow as its bank holiday.

Back