Fine Crush.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferosa

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I got some malt online a while back, and asked for fine crush, as I’m doing BIAB. I recently ordered some more, but when it arrived the crush didn’t look nearly so fine. I sent a pic over to the vendor, and they agreed that it hadn’t been crushed properly.

They resent the grain, and it arrived yesterday, but to me, it still doesn’t look anywhere near as fine... 2 pics attached, the original fine crush (white label - looks very fine) and the newest (replacement) malt I received yesterday. What do you think? I’m going to brew with it, but seems a bit odd, and a little inconsistent.

Attachments

• 604E74DD-B249-4B8C-9CDC-29E91A5843CA.jpeg
    604E74DD-B249-4B8C-9CDC-29E91A5843CA.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 114
  • A23E7248-6B17-4AB6-92F5-013C68D5CB54.jpeg
    A23E7248-6B17-4AB6-92F5-013C68D5CB54.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 114
Well, of course it is extremely difficult to give a definitive opinion from a photo - even a very good one. But I'd be happy with the malt in the 2nd photo (starts A23E72....). I normally fly sparge and the malt in (604E7...) would worry me a bit - it looks like it has a load of fines & would coagulate easily in the mash & sparge.
I've never tried BIAB, but I can't imagine that your newest malt would give you problems.

I don't like the look of the crush in the firet picture, second picture looks OK, better to get a mill and mill your own.
006.JPG

Ideally you want an intact husk not so coarse as to have whole grains left in there, shredding the husks can produce off flavours from tannin's in the husk.
If you do decide to get a mill get a three roller with a driver, driven and idler roller for good and consistent results.

Hard to tell from photos but it looks fairly fine to me, certainly finer than a standard crush.

Given the circumstances I would be glad there are people still willing to come in to work to crush malt for us.

If you are worried about a drop in efficiency you can always chuck in 10% extra grain from the first bag.

Latest posts

Back