Fining before second racking?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mork

Reaction score
I would appreciate a little advice please. I have two demijohns of Carrot Whiskey/Wine. Fermentation has completely finished. I did the first racking at the end of September and I'm about to rack it a second time before eventually bottling it. It's a little hazy, so I'm wondering if I added finings at the second racking whether that would be a good idea, so that after Christmas when I come to bottle it, the whiskey/wine will be crystal clear.
So, what I'd like to know please (as I'm new to wine making) is: Is fining still possible at this stage and if so, what fining agent is best for me to use? Or should I do it just before bottling? I'd appreciate any feedback.

you can add finings at any time you like

However with country wines you can get a lot of hazes not all of them will respond to fining.

starch haze will require amylase while protein hazes will respond to pectolase.

if i had to put money on it i would say you have a starch haze.

The good news is that these hazes don't affect the drinking just the appearance

Most hazes given enough time and cold conditions will clear, at least in my experience. Even my hazy plum wine is clearing slowly, it had pectinase added early on but I suspect it wasn't enough for the amount of plums added. Hazes are in a losing fight with gravity, it just might take a while for them to admit it.

Anna

Latest posts

Back