Finings and clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thebiggestal

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if this has been covered.
Done the dark rock part mash kit (tribute to tribute). Hit the the FG in the instructions and I’ve added the finings today.

My question is, I used a fermentation fridge at 20c so should I now drop the temp of the fridge now the finings are in there to clear further?

thanks

Colder conditions always seems to speed up clearing.
I always chill my wines.To clear them,Works quite well.

Beer brewers take it a step further and call it "Cold crashing."

When you say you hit the FG in the instructions, did the FG stay the same over a 2 day period? It’s best to take a couple of readings over a couple of days at the end of fermentation. If both readings are the same, fermentation has finished. If second reading is lower than first reading, it’s still going so repeat after a couple of days until the two subsequent readings are the same. Then you can cold crash. I drop the temperature to 4C, some go lower, for 4-5 days for a 5 gallon brew.

I too have a query on finings. After a break of 16 years with AG I am in the process of doing the Dark Rock AG tribute to St Austell Tribute. Hit OG target bang on at 1045 and yesterday on taking a sample it was at 1020 and surprisingly clear. I want a clear pint eventually but do wonder whether the finings supplied would be better saved for a murkier brew. I believe that the clearer it is on bottling the longer it will take to carbonate and I don't want to be waiting months. I have a spare packet of MJ yeast from a Brewer's Series kit and might adopt Dave Line's old trick of fining then putting one grain of yeast in each bottle with the sugar. Any thoughts would be welcome please and pic shows condition yesterday.
20210302_135501.jpg

I suggest you take another SG reading with your hydrometer tomorrow to see if it's still 1.020 (seems a little high :confused.:) to see if fermentation is complete.
My beer is pretty clear after cold crashing for 4-5 days and I've managed to carbonate in 2 weeks or so, both barrel and bottles. Chilling the carbonated beer will help to clear the beer. I've never used finings.

I should have said that the sample was taken merely to check progress and the target FG is 1010 though 1012 would give target ABV of 4.2%. Unfortunately I can't move the brew which is in a spare bedroom (upstairs) to a colder place when the time comes but at the rate it is going it will have less need of finings than all the can or pouch kits I've done over the last two years which just had to do without them and cleared in the bottle within a week.

Latest posts

Back