Finings question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithW

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Bandit Brew just about ready for bottling. I was going to add some finings to help it clear and reduce the sediment in the bottles. I have some Clear-It and it contains potassium sorbate, is this going to prevent secondary fermentation in the bottles or is it such a small amount that it's not a problem?

Cheers

Keith

Beer brewers dont use pottasium sorbate so I dont know the answer. I think wine maker might use it so perhaps @chippy_tea may know as he know more about wine making than I do (as I know precisely zero about that area of HBing)

Yes potassium sorbate is what wine makers use to kill the yeast so yes its no good if you can't force carb.

Hi!
I never have used finings in beer. I allow two weeks fermenting and then a period at a much colder temperature to promote settling.
I also use Nottingham yeast - it sticks to the bottle like glue, so I don't have to worry too much when pouring.

EDIT: the instructions that I found online for Bandit Brew don't allow any time between fermentation ending and bottling. If you have a second FV, rack into that and let it sit as cold as possible for a few days, then bottle.
The instructions suggest 5 days for carbonation - I leave the bottles for two weeks to make sure they are carbed up. Beer improves with age, up to about 3 months, but I believe that these lighter beers are at their best fairly quickly. The last bottle will be the best of the batch!

A good answer Colin!
It leads me to believe the 2+2+2 theory...good old time does the job.
Was getting mixed up (as I do!) with the Irish moss thingy.
Looked last nite on one with positive n negative getting the **** to clear! Then I fell asleep:doh:
Well at least you know I'm pottering on using what little brains cell I've got left haha!
Thx so far for the info and it makes sence....at last lol
Bri

Well, I decided not to bother! It does say for wine and beer, but I didn't want to risk it, I usually use it for some of my berry, veg, flower wines. I am new to beer brewing and just wanted to reduce the sediment in the bottles a bit.

Thanks

Keith

The one I have used contains Potassium Metabisulphite and it works fine. However I would prefer it without any Chemicals in it. Not exactly what the difference is but I use beer brite.

Beer is chemicals, swim bladders of fish contain chemicals just about everything we eat contains chemicals so they are not always bad in their own right. Most finings work by chemical attraction to proteins in the beer which will precipitate out as they become heavier, whatever they are called it is this chemical attraction that makes it work.

it is perfectly possible to drink unfined beer and get it clear as indicated above simply a question of time and managing the conditioning temperature of the beer can help to reduce the gap from cloudy to clear drinking beer!

Beer is chemicals, swim bladders of fish contain chemicals just about everything we eat contains chemicals so they are not always bad in their own right. Most finings work by chemical attraction to proteins in the beer which will precipitate out as they become heavier, whatever they are called it is this chemical attraction that makes it work.

it is perfectly possible to drink unfined beer and get it clear as indicated above simply a question of time and managing the conditioning temperature of the beer can help to reduce the gap from cloudy to clear drinking beer!

Thanks interesting. My IPA's have been crystal clear recently, using a different yeast even without cold crashing. Been brewing Lagers though so wanted to make sure they are not cloudy. Is it possible to use bentonite for beer? Worked on all my wine so far apart from 1 batch.

The answer to my original question is, it works fine!

My local Nisa shop had some Kilner bitter kits for a fiver so I bought one. I used the Clear-it, and after a few days the plastic bottles had firmed up, so all is good, and no sediment in the bottles.

Keith

For an easy life you can do as I do and fine with the swim bladders of fish (isinglass). That statement is of course nonsense! Isinglass doesn't keep, so its best getting it dried. And then you have to start preparing it 24 hours before you need it. It's a pain, and stinks like what you squeeze out of your socks when you've paddled too deep for your wellies up some muddy ditch.

So more times than not the beer is casked/kegged without finings. It still clears (though some yeasts are better than others).

Latest posts

Back