Finings.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojorose

Reaction score
I received cleared a demijohn using Young's. My wine stinks now. Any advice on how to get rid of that chemical smell? It did however do an almost instant clearing......

It was a liquid fining, you put part A in and then part B an hour later. The smell is chemical and tastes in the wine.

I am guessing it was Kwik Clear from youngs which is Kieselsol and gelatin. i have used it loads of times with no problem on wine and beer I do know some people are very sensitive to some beer and wine additions but most are ok with it. It contains silica which is pretty natural and gelatin which is too. If it is a strong chemical taste it maybe the fermentation stopping agents etc that have caused it maybe?

I brewed this July last year. The only intervention it's had is a campden tablet in May of this year. I'm puzzled.

Unless, as suggested you are particularly sensitive to the ingredients, your wine is manky; I use that stuff all the time with no problems.

I brewed this July last year.

What wine did you make?

Did you add the fining last year when the wine had finished fermenting?

I have also used several different finngs and my favourite is KwiK Clear which is a two part finings i also use Youngs Clear it (another 2 part fining) and have never had the problems you have described.

Latest posts

Back