Finished making my brew fridge, Will my airlock be ok??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootcutboy

Reaction score
Howdy all, as you can see from the pics below I got my 1st beer fridge built yesterday and my first brew on the go today, just a wilko Cerveza lager to test the fridge out so I’m not too bothered if anything goes wrong this time.

The only real problem I have is that there is not enough room for an airlock to fit completely in without it bending over as you can see from the pics. This means that the grommet is maybe not as sealed shut as I should be. Will it all be ok? Just wondering what you guys reckon? Am I just going to ruin the brew? Is there an alternative airlock teqniqur I can apply instead please? And advice would be very gratefully received.
I should also add that I have ordered a couple of the other kinds other Handy type airlocks which I am hoping will be less tall and fit in better and will change them over when they arrive.
ACC5465F-0C7F-4801-B318-9C7DAA830BB0.jpeg
5DC178C5-002D-4A52-95F9-E6BD074FE74A.jpeg

You don't really need an airlock. I would just remove it and cover the hole with a bit of tin foil to stop anything dropping in

do you mean use a small piece of foil just bigger than the small hole and tuck the foil in underneath the grommet? Will that do?

Just tape a bit over the top. The gas will still get out. Or if your worried only tape 3 sides.

Ok thanks for that. As long as I am using the fridge Will foil over the hole work for all kits, lager, cider, beer, red and white wines?

Back