Fire extinguisher valve stuck?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterMike

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I tried out using a fire extinguisher as a source for co2, I tried gassing up a corny keg, a small one 9 litres and the regulator got very cold and started to kinda frost up a little, the fire extinguisher was in it's upright position, I'm now thinking I should have inverted it and used it upsidedown, anyway it seems like when I let the fire extinguisher handle go as in the off position, it still letting gas through to the regulator, could the valve be stuck open? Also the second guage let's say on the keg side not the fire extinguisher side that needle on that clock was hopping a bit while I was gassing up the corny keg, do you think I have broken the valve and or regulator? Any advice would be great, thanks.

I sometimes use a fire extinguisher (upright) when awaiting a new gas delivery. I find it fine at serving pressure but if i crank it up to force carb the regulator will freeze up. Its happened more than once and i now remember not to do it. It is possible you have damaged your regulator but if its letting gas through it must be going somewhere unless you have a leak?

Hi BeerCat, I see, hopefully I didn't damage it, I'll remember not to do that again just use it to serve, what I mean about letting gas through, when I turn the nob on the regulator up to raise the psi, gas will come out even with the fire extinguisher valve in the off position... This has me a bit worried.
Thanks for the input.

On each of my lines i have a john guest tap so i can turn them off. Saves venting your keg by accident when you are starting out kegging. Once the regulator defrosts it should work again. I serve at 20psi but its when i cranked it up above 30 it froze. Quite a trippy sight.

I'll order some John Guest taps, I'll check the regulator and tank in the morning, learning as I go, pressure barrels are looking nice and easy compared to cornys.
Thanks đź‘Ť

Fire extinguisher have a diptube to the base so when you trigger it it's liquid CO2 released into the atmosphere causing an effective smothering blanket depriving fire if oxygen .
When inverted it will release gas and this is why your regulator has frozen as its full of liquid CO2.
Shut the valve and disconnect and let it thaw before connection and invert the tank.
When the empties you can remove the valve which in turn will let it be use in ins upright position releasing the gas at the top of the tank

@Gerryjo
Don't you mean remove the diptube? I would leave that job to a professional though so it could be safely tested / recertified before filling.
Sorry yes I meant the diptube but as long as the cannister has been depressurised there is no issue removing it then replacing the valve.

Good morning all, I checked the fire extinguisher and regulator it seems like the fire extinguisher valve is definitely stuck open, I tried to slowly release the gas between the regulator and tank, it should have ran out very quickly, but it just kept going so I very slowly loosened the nut holding the regulator just a tad, it started to hiss but I was able to turn the regulator upside down and re tighten so as when the fire extinguisher is upsidedown the clocks are right side up, I will make a stand to hold the whole thing upside when in use and at refilling time ask for the dip tube to be removed.

Good point, I'll see if I can find a place where I can drop if off one week and collect it the next, hopefully get my own tank with dip tube removed. Thanks for all the advice.

Back