Fireman Sam axed as brigade mascot for not being inclusive

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Another day another WTF moment -

Why not also have a fire-woman Samantha instead of axing something that has run from the 80's until last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-49661970

Fireman Sam has been axed as a mascot for a fire brigade over fears he could put women off joining.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service said the children's TV character was outdated and did not reflect the message it wanted to achieve.

The decision follows complaints by staff and members of the public.

Chief fire officer Les Britzman said Fireman Sam would be replaced with fire extinguisher-shaped mascots called Freddy, Filbert and Penelope.

Mr Britzman said the service already struggled to recruit women firefighters and the character would no longer be used in its promotional material.

"There's been a lot of research that says that images that young people have about what careers they want to do are formed when they are about four or five.

"If you are promoting that image we might be stopping people wanting to apply for the fire service 20 years down the line."

Olivia j@Olivia56153973
#firemansam when my daughter was little everytime we saw a fire engine she got so excited that fireman sam was in it. She didnt worry that it wasnt firewoman sandra. This is getting so stupid now.

_108749116_mediaitem108749114.jpg

Where will it end? We all wear the same clothes? There are actually men and women on the planet and they are vastly different as far as physical capabilities, in general.
If a person can do better than another person at something, they deserve the job (man or women). I highly doubt you'd find very many females who can lug a body from a burning building as well as a male. I feel the same way about women in the military. Being a sniper seems easy enough, physically, but what about the rest of the job? Can a woman drag a wounded soldier from danger as fast as a man? I'm sure she'd try as hard to do so, but it just wouldn't happen.
I have had the discussion with my wife on which sex is appropriate for which job. Besides mental ability (equal), physical ability (far from equal) is then the determining factor.
It's not rocket science.
People are stupid.

Where will it end?

I don't know Dave but i do know one thing i am glad i will no longer be around when the professionally offended get their way.

A few examples.

We have already seen beer names that supposedly caused offence - Dizzy Blonde etc.

Man hole changed (maintenance hole)

Waitrose is to change the name of its Gentleman’s Smoked Chicken Caesar Roll because feminist campaigners said it was sexist.
The roll, from Heston Blumenthal’s range at the supermarket, contains anchovy mayonnaise, similar to ‘gentleman’s relish’ but the name was branded “outrageous” on social media and the chain has issued an apology.

The UK's most popular tissue brand are set to change the name of one of their most sought-after products amidst increasing criticism that is has a sexist name.
The product 'Kleenex Mansize', from Kimberley-Clark, have used this branding exercise since 1956, however 60 years later the campaign has ended in tears.

What will happen to Mothercare?

I don't know Dave but i do know one thing i am glad i will no longer be around when the professionally offended get their way.

A few examples.

We have already seen beer names that supposedly caused offence - Dizzy Blonde etc.

Waitrose is to change the name of its Gentleman’s Smoked Chicken Caesar Roll because feminist campaigners said it was sexist.
The roll, from Heston Blumenthal’s range at the supermarket, contains anchovy mayonnaise, similar to ‘gentleman’s relish’ but the name was branded “outrageous” on social media and the chain has issued an apology.

The UK's most popular tissue brand are set to change the name of one of their most sought-after products amidst increasing criticism that is has a sexist name.
The product 'Kleenex Mansize', from Kimberley-Clark, have used this branding exercise since 1956, however 60 years later the campaign has ended in tears.

Parentcare..

"Man hole" can go a lot of different ways and sounds profoundly naughty!

I'm not sure if it's as bad/stupid/ridiculous here. Maybe it is, but I have sworn off news 99% because it's so stupid and what have you.
If I need to know something, my wife will tell me.
I might even be a little more aware of what's going on in your neck of the woods than here from reading posts.

My wife and I were also talking about maternity leave. I said that anyone leaving a job for whatever reason opens themselves up for losing said job. Man or women. I guess it's nice and all to keep someone's spot saved for them at a company but I wouldn't expect a company not to replace me if I was out for a lot of weeks. My wife agreed more or less. She's big on being fair and so am I.
I can only speak about the US situation here. Far too many people want to live extravagantly on two incomes than live moderately on one. It's really quite doable if people don't insist on having two cars and a giant house really for the reason of keeping up with the Jones'. I actually don't care which one does which. There's such a high percentage of people here who let strangers basically raise their children.

i will no longer be around when the professionally offended get their way.
... we have to remember though, that the "professionally offended" includes those that just can't handle change and recognise when others might have a point (e.g. those that insist that firefighters be called firemen/firewomen) ... so it'll be a long time before anyone "gets their way" :?:

Personally, I reckon the male/female thing is an excuse ... someone will have looked at the costs involved in continuing to use the Fireman Sam image rights, and found they can get to use these other images cheaper ... but the sexist Fireman "angle" was deemed better PR :?:

Cheers, PhilB

we have to remember though, that the "professionally offended" includes those that just can't handle change and recognise when others might have a point (e.g. those that insist that firefighters be called firemen/firewomen) ... so it'll be a long time before anyone "gets their way"

I don't mind change but object to change for changes sake why cant they be firefighter, fireman or firewoman why do we have to have one that covers all?

Do we now have dinner-people serving school meals?

The mansize tissue one is ridiculous why would a woman be offended because men need a bigger tissue due to being dirty snotty feckers.

...why cant they be firefighter, fireman or firewoman why do we have to have one that covers all?
... but the answer to that question is given (implied) in the story ...
[QUOTE="the news story Chippy_Tea linked to" ]It has come under fire in the past for being sexist, with calls for it to be renamed Firefighter Sam.

Mr Britzman said he would consider bringing back the character if this was done.

"The show itself is modern and up to date but the title isn't," he said.

"No-one in the country is called fireman anymore. It's firefighter. That's their rank."[/QUOTE] ... the producers of the cartoon have changed the show, Sam is never referred to as Fireman Sam in the show ... the only place the term "Fireman" is used is in the title (and on lunch boxes/backpacks/socks/drinks bottles/tee-shirts/etc. etc. etc., and in authorised uses, like as mascots for fire services) ... so why do you think that is? (hint: it's usually best to "follow the money", and the money here is on image rights).

Cheers, PhilB

It will be interesting to find out in a couple of years time or so when things have settled down with Lincs Fire Brigade new image in place whether its actually made any difference the number of women who apply to join their service.

It will be interesting to find out in a couple of years time or so when things have settled down with Lincs Fire Brigade new image in place whether its actually made any difference the number of women who apply to join their service.

I have a feeling it wont.

A friend of mine did basic fireman training a few years ago, from what he told me, they train the fireman's lift, I guess that it's the person over the shoulder carrying technique. don't want to inflame a gender debate, but that might put alot of people off from doing the job, men of a certain physicality and also women of similar ability. I worked as a bouncer for 18 years and most teams I worked with, 100% men , and now i work corporate security, sometimes dealing with violent incidents, my female colleagues, some literally 8 stone wet, have just got themselves out of the way.
but to counterpoint that, they are very good at bringing a balance back into peoples minds prior to them losing their ****.

As for the fireman Sam lot do they actively seek to recruit people who through no fault of their own would never ever be a firefighter...or man or woman...just to be seen to be doing the right thing...
ie...a great big fat bloke who can't even get out the chair isn't going to be rescuing any cats out of trees...no matter how politically correct it is.

I have mentioned this before one of my family members has dementia is it a coincidence 95% of the people who work in the care home are female, some jobs seem to attract one sex more than others, how many bin-women do you see compared to bin-men?

Chippy you can't say bin man it's bin person :laugh8:, also how many brothers run nhs wards there are lots of sisters just a pointathumb.. it really is rather silly all this equallity

Chippy you can't say bin man it's bin person :laugh8:, also how many brothers run nhs wards there are lots of sisters just a pointathumb.. it really is rather silly all this equallity

Spot on man.....errrrrrr gender neutral person, thingumybob, dude

Back