Fireman Sam axed as brigade mascot for not being inclusive

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another day another WTF moment -

Why not also have a fire-woman Samantha instead of axing something that has run from the 80's until last year

How about 'Gender fluid / non binary / pan-sexual fire person (so long as the word 'person' doesn't offend anyone) Sam'?

Chippy you can't say bin man it's bin person :laugh8:, also how many brothers run nhs wards there are lots of sisters just a pointathumb.. it really is rather silly all this equallity

Quite a few Charge Nurses run wards (the male version of a sister, although I believe some female nurses use the title charge nurse too), much like how at one point the title matron had been pretty much scrapped and replaced with ward manager and assistant ward manager, until some numpty thought it would look good on their political CV to "bring bag modern matrons!". Historically however, you would have seen wards full of brothers, as nurses were monks, but that's just history for you. Female nurses came much later. I should imagine it was quite a shock to everybody when women started wanting to be nurses too! I mean, it was a man's job en all, will all that lifting patients around, and having to deal with wounds etc....

Some of you need to stop feeling so threatened, nobody is going to chop off your manhood, don't worry.... :p

Quite a few Charge Nurses run wards (the male version of a sister, although I believe some female nurses use the title charge nurse too), much like how at one point the title matron had been pretty much scrapped and replaced with ward manager and assistant ward manager, until some numpty thought it would look good on their political CV to "bring bag modern matrons!". Historically however, you would have seen wards full of brothers, as nurses were monks, but that's just history for you. Female nurses came much later. I should imagine it was quite a shock to everybody when women started wanting to be nurses too! I mean, it was a man's job en all, will all that lifting patients around, and having to deal with wounds etc....

Some of you need to stop feeling so threatened, nobody is going to chop off your manhood, don't worry.... :p

I work as a Nurse in Scotland and was aghast when I saw that Matron and Sister were still used within certain Trusts in England (this was a job advert, no less). In a profession that continues to struggle to recruit men, I couldn't believe how self-defeating this was. Female Doctor anyone?

I work as a Nurse in Scotland and was aghast when I saw that Matron and Sister were still used within certain Trusts in England (this was a job advert, no less). In a profession that continues to struggle to recruit men, I couldn't believe how self-defeating this was. Female Doctor anyone?

Yeah, we have some seriously old fashioned attitudes down here, people are so scared of change.... I still remember before I even trained, was talking to a chap and said I was going to be a nurse "Oh, a male nurse?".... I felt like replying with "No, I'm having a sex change.....". I even went on a "course of non-traditional work experience" when I was at high school, called Cross Over 90, a scheme they ran to get the lads to try things like nursing, secretarial etc, and the girls to try things like engineering, motor mechanic etc... It's 2019, do we need to bring old fashioned schemes like this back? We seem to still have people who think that women are a "weaker sex", even though there are just as many men who are 8 stone when wet, and women who could turn them inside out if they felt inclined.... Along with people who get really upset at just names getting changed, I mean language changes, it evolves, it's just the way the world works..... I dunno, snowflakes the lot of em.... wink... Melt at the first sign of change... :laugh8:

Whether you like it or not there are jobs that attract more of one sex than another its not about people being scared their jobs may be done by the opposite sex
"Some of you need to stop feeling so threatened, nobody is going to chop off your manhood, don't worry"
it just the way things are.

To name but a few -

Lorry, Train, Bus and Coach drivers.

Refuse workers drivers and loaders.

Pilots.

Vehicle mechanics.

Engineering and Shipbuilding workers.

Fire service.

Ambulance service.

Police.

Taxi drivers.

Personal Finance advisory

Web developers.

Brick masons, block masons, stone masons, and reinforcing iron and rebar workers.

Whether you like it or not there are jobs that attract more of one sex than another its not about people being scared their jobs may be done by the opposite sex

To name but a few -

Pilots.

Vehicle mechanics.

Fire service.

Ambulance service.

Police.

Taxi drivers.

Web developers.

Brick masons, block masons, stone masons, and reinforcing iron and rebar workers.

can we add waiter to the list, and I may lower the tone here, always happier to get served by a female! as I have a nut allergy, not a medical problem just don't trust waiters not to scratch there......

Don't we all want a world where our daughters don't feel that certain roles are beyond them? I don't think most firemen today could carry a 24 stone fatty down a ladder. I know several gals who can write their name in the snow, if you know what I mean. We should try not to impose gender-oriented roles on boys or girls.

I remember someone writing that male midwives should be renamed midhusbands. The cretin did not understand that midwife is old English for 'with women' so could apply to a man or a woman.

Last edited:

To name but a few -
Pilots.
Vehicle mechanics.
Fire service.
Ambulance service.
Police.
Taxi drivers.
Web developers.
Brick masons, block masons, stonemasons and reinforcing iron and rebar workers.

Are you serious???

"These jobs attract fewer women"?? I'm not sure you are correct. and if you are it's not because women don't want these jobs, it's because of old fashioned attitudes from many men and, sadly, some women.

Thankfully many professions have managed to shake off the gender stereotypes and have redressed the balance. Medicine, Dentistry and Law, to name but a few, are all pretty balanced these days. The way it should be.

Are you serious???

"These jobs attract fewer women"?? I'm not sure you are correct. and if you are it's not because women don't want these jobs, it's because of old fashioned attitudes from many men and, sadly, some women.

He's also arguing with me about something I never said a word about as far as I can tell?????

Are you serious???

Yes i am being serious.
All the jobs I listed employ less than 25% of women and in some a lot less is this because men don't want them to be employed in these jobs as you suggest or is it a case an enequal amount of women to men don't want to do them so men are employed?

Back