Fireworks sales could be banned.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the general public be banned from buying fireworks.

• Yes - They scares pets and wildlife and are a nuisance.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • No - But they should only be sold to those over 21 and a couple of days before the 5th of November.

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • No - its just another thing the killjoys want to ban.

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters
I've no idea - I spent most of my time in school staring out of the window safe in the knowledge that eventually I'd be let go home.

Me too... school was a total borefest except the chemistry lessons which I really looked forward to and made the rest of it just about bearable.

But ... but ... but ... if fireworks are banned, how on earth will the modern reincarnation of Guy Fawkes get enough stuff to blow up that despicable lot in Westminster and free us from the tyranny of incompetent government?

I wonder how many key word alerts have been triggered on government probes by this threadwink... I remember throwing those bangers in the OP at my mates during Novembers of my youth, not a clever thing to do at all when you look back.:roll:

Now there's a thought. I can't recall the last time I've seen a bunch of kids pushing around a cobbled together effigy of Guy Fawks asking for a penny!

I wouldn't mind if they were banned because I like pets and don't really care about fireworks. But that's just me being selfish, not sure what the overall social benefits are to it being banned.

A few hours ago I had a group of customers in there 60s and 70s saying how crazy the bangers they used to buy as kids were.

A few hours ago I had a group of customers in there 60s and 70s saying how crazy the bangers they used to buy as kids were.
They were never as good as memory tells.
No matter how many were used, stuffed up a dead cat ( they were not used to the new dual carriageways) I remember the carcase looked the same when the smoke cleared.

If the government bans bangers, will sausages be affected?
Could this be the thin end of a wedge which ends up destroying summer barbecues in the garden and the traditional full English breakfast?

I can see the sense in restricting the sale and use of fireworks to say the week leading up to November 5th. The downside would be the arguments surrounding the restriction of use of fireworks on foreign cultural or religious celebrations.

I can see the sense in restricting the sale and use of fireworks to say the week leading up to November 5th. The downside would be the arguments surrounding the restriction of use of fireworks on foreign cultural or religious celebrations.

Easy solution ban the sale to everyone.

Display organises wouldn't buy them from a corner shop so problem solved.

This thing is, if we are to start banning something because we don't much care for it, and it is misused by an irresponsible minority, then all sorts of things will be in trouble.

Private dog ownership, for instance.
...alcoholic intoxication, for example. At whatever level.

I think that there is an over use of fireworks in this country, people letting them off for anniversaries, birthdays, new year, royal stuff (in general) and of course Bonfire Night, I now live in a rural setting away from any other houses so I'm lucky that I don't get the noise from people letting them off at any occasion but that's not always been the case. I feel sorry for those who have pets that are intimidated by fireworks as back in the day you knew it would just be for a week in November that they would be affected, not anymore unfortunately, I don't believe a ban would work or be fair but restrictions to events might work?

I'm all for organised licensed firework displays on or around 5 November and any other special day like NYE, but stopping U21s buying fireworks two days before 5 Nov (what about after?) doesn't stop them letting off fireworks at any time of the day and night of their choosing. I'm sure some of you have been woken up at 1.00am in the morning by some halfwit conducting their own firework party.

Strange, I seem to remember mumbling something along those lines last night, comment never made it past a censor I was thinking?.
I think I may have mentioned the ' M' word.

I'm all for organised licensed firework displays on or around 5 November and any other special day like NYE, but stopping U21s buying fireworks two days before 5 Nov (what about after?) doesn't stop them letting off fireworks at any time of the day and night of their choosing. I'm sure some of you have been woken up at 1.00am in the morning by some halfwit conducting their own firework party.
My memory stretches back and I don't remember fireworks being sold much other than for bonfire night, they were expensive!
But I'd buy a few penny bangers on my way to school, no restrictions If I recall, the girls sometimes turned up with them too and unless they had a secret pocket down their skirts, took them to school in their knickers!
It was Liverpool though.

Lol. We had the goddamn library! Kids - if you can't get potassium nitrate, just get someone to purchase some sodium chlorate weedkiller from the garden centre. No problem that it's 53% fire-depressant. Just pass it thru' a suitable sieve and the stuff that gets held back is what you're after. Well that's the oxidising agent sorted; the choice of fuel components is up to you.

You can get hold of KNO3 easily, from any good planted aquarium supplier as it's used in quite a few of the methods used for fertilising planted aquaria (estimate index been the best known method), so long as you don't mind the seller passing on your name and address to the government that is.... :laugh8: Amusingly, I'm on a government register somewhere for buying some years ago back when I was keeping a high tech planted aquarium (doesn't mean what high tech usually means...). No need for Google though, my 6th form chemistry teacher taught us how to make gunpowder pretty much from the off....ashock1 I never would though, obviously. asad. My wife, and her sense of humour, "got at" the tub I kept mine in...

e6b84ca36b04c3137dfb3bf68dda5eff.jpg

Oh and proof of what I actually used it for...

e1ecdb02efe2e9c0685ebb354e7cd2bc.jpg

Not risking any accusations here....

As to fireworks, they NEED banning, especially around here, from October through early February it's literally like living in a war zone with all the huge bangs and flashes day and night... Our dogs aren't overly bothered, but I feel like building a bunker and hiding in it... They're nothing but a nuisance as they just end up in the hands of idiots.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back