First AG brew in the FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirebladeAdam

Regular.
Reaction score
The day before yesterday was awesome. I brewed 4kg pale ale malt, 500g wheat malt and some cascade and bobek hops. I didn't have all of the stuff I ordered so I had the odd workaround but it's now in the FV and bubbling away. If the beer it makes tastes even 10pc as good as that wort smells... It'll be just fantastic. That was the most incredible smell! I think this might be the cleverest thing I've ever decided to do. I made the recipe up and ended up with just under 23 litres; maybe I've got 20 or so but I don't know how! Anyway it all seems to be working. My wort chiller hadn't arrived (was going to make my own but time is short) so I just let it get down to 18 degrees C by leaving it overnight. Then I sterilised the yeast packet - like it days to on the packet - but I did it in hot water! What on earth was I thinking? Stupid. Anyway I realised my stupidity after I'd pitched, and soon became ok with the idea of pitching more yeast if I had to. But it seems happy! Phew. Let's hope for great beer. Thanks to everyone for useful advice, if you're passing in 6 weeks...

I'd expect dried yeast to be far more heat tolerant than liquid or rehydrated yeast, which probably explains why your yeast will have been fine in the packet, particularly with them being foil lined. I found a very old paper that quotes heat tolerances for some yeasts up to 62C when partly dried, so the properly dried yeasts are likely to be even higher temperature resistant short term.

Anna

This was a liquid yeast- Escarpment English ale 1. Although yes it is packed in foil, hopefully that helped.
That makes me feel very lucky! Off to buy a lottery ticket now

Back