first AG Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@FridgeSpaceBrewing
I do BIAB in my kitchen in an 11 litre pot and looking through your posts there are one or two things which I do which you might find useful.
I usually start my 'brewday' first thing in the morning. However I get all my stuff ready, FV, pot, weighed grain in the bag etc the night before and that includes my treated water which goes in an old PB.
I use the oven at a low setting to maintain the mash temperature and this is very successful, although you may not be able to do that if your pot is too big.
Like you I have found it useful to preheat the sparge water and hops go in weighted bags.
I dont get clear wort but dont bother about that it all goes in liquid plus solids and any break which has escaped the bag.
I use at least four sinkfuls of water, but cooling down 9 litres of wort to near pitching temperature takes about an hour. You could try no chill cooling where you leave the wort to cool down in the FV over several hours without assistance from cold water etc. I sort of do that at the end since I cool down to about 25*C and then put the FV into a water bath with ice water to get it down to pitching temperature. I then use the water bath for fermentation temperature control (no brew fridge)
Finally I clear up as I go along during the mash and boil and wort cooling putting stuff away after I have finished with it, rather than be faced with a massive clear up at the end. But in the end you will settle on a regime that suits you best, given what you do and what you have to hand.
Finally if you are brewing 13 litre batches I would consider a smaller FV. Brew2 bottle will sell you a 15 litre FV for about £4. I have two and use one of those in which to carry out my batch sparge.

I was thinking about getting bits ready the night before, makes a lot of sense. What setting do you put your oven on? Although, i managed to keep a good temp with a towel and thick coat. What do you weigh your hops bags with? I bought a couple of bags of marbles for this. Will they do? Cheers

I was thinking about getting bits ready the night before, makes a lot of sense. What setting do you put your oven on? Although, i managed to keep a good temp with a towel and thick coat. What do you weigh your hops bags with? I bought a couple of bags of marbles for this. Will they do? Cheers
The lowest heat setting on the dial (but not the defrost setting). A little trial and error may be needed before you get it spot on.
I use SS spoons.

Airlock activity stopped overnight. Checked gravity this afternoon. Seemed to be 1.010. Ill check again on sunday see if i get the same reading. If so, I'll cold crash for a couple of days

Attachments

• 20200918_162307.jpg
    20200918_162307.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 116

Latest posts

Back