First all grain brew guidance please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am intending to do my first all grain brew, in a biab way. Based on a recipe for Walkers bitter.
Plenty of fermenting kit, have done quite a number of kits and partial extract brews, a bit limited on space and don't want to invest in more kit atm.
I would like to brew ~23l.
I have a 15l stock pot and gas hob and a sous vide immersion stick heater.

4.6kg maris otter
440g medium Crystal Malt
13g each of Magnum and ELG @ 60 Min
31g EKG @10 min
31g EKG @1 min

What advice would you give me about brewing with limited boiling kit please?
Cheers

My biggest piece of advice: don't wait until the afternoon to start. With all the best will in the world, it will take in excess of 5 hours. I think my first AG was 7.

I started with a BIAB, 16L pot and ended up with batches of 8-10 litres. You're not going to be able to do 23L in a 15L pot.... unless you're doing some funky split double boil thing.

Are you planning BIAB?

I would plan to do a simple brew within the limitations of your kit, just to get the process down, before trying to do something more complex.

Single step infusion, no sparge (or a simple dunk sparge), boil. Cool (or no chill) then into the fermenter. Cheers

Recipe looks fine, but I agree with ukskydiver, you ain't going to get 23l out of a 15l pot. You might if you do two mashes. All the best though, my advice (for what it's worth) is just go for it - it's actually quite a simple process all told.

Split those ingredients in two and brew 11.5L for you first attempt with limited kit. It'll be easier, give you margin for error and you'll learn what works and what doesn't.

Try to measure your volumes and gravities at each stage, but don't worry too much (or at all) about accurately hitting and correcting for any specific targets. Write down good notes. You'll end it with something to drink regardless of it being 8 or 14L at 7 or 4% abv. I'd take more notice of how things behave, look, smell and taste.

Latest posts

Back