First all grain- Midland Mild Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portreath

Landlord.
Reaction score
Monday I attempted my first all grain brew, however when my new Electrim mash bin started tripping the fuses to my house I quickly moved to my 9ltr buffalo water boiler. After a quick bit of math I gathered the following ingredients:
1064 g pale malt
180 g crystal malt
8 g Fuggles
6 g Golding
5 g MJ's Liberty Bell Yeast

The mash was a full 90 mins, and I hit this with a liter of hot water to sparge, then rinsed the grain bag. The boiler worked well once I worked out a setting to keep the water at aprrox 65c.
I did a full 90 mins boil with the lid sitting slightly off set and only lost about 2 ltr (including boil over--opps)
The work looked and smelt great, so I covered it and left it overnight. The following day I checked the OG which was around 1057, so I decanted the wort to an FV and added warm water until I got to an SG of 1037, which was what I was aiming for. So I got to my target volume of liquid which is 11 liters.
I added the yeast (half a packet) in the morning, and by mid afternoon fermentation was vigorous. After 4 days fermentation has slowed down and have a reading of 1.011, which having only ever making kit brew this seems very fast indeed. The brew has a really nice burnt toffee aroma already, so as it stands I have high hopes for this, which is amazing given the disastrous start.
Lessons learned:
Buy spare batteries for electric thermometer
Wear heat resistant gloves for squeezing the grain bag (ouch!!)
Never leave the boiler unattended after adding hops (Opps)
Always test new equipment before using

In summary I think this was a really useful exercise, I've learnt a lot and I will be doing more brews with this set up.

Last edited:
I'd recommend keeping the lid off next time you're boiling your wort. You'll lose more through evaporation, but it also allows DMS to escape, which might cause off flavours.

I'd recommend keeping the lid off next time you're boiling your wort. You'll lose more through evaporation, but it also allows DMS to escape, which might cause off flavours.

Because of the more modified malts we have now, DMS is only really a risk with pilsner malt nowaday (so I've read). I still dont put the lid on my pot however, because that's what I've always done

Because of the more modified malts we have now, DMS is only really a risk with pilsner malt nowaday (so I've read). I still dont put the lid on my pot however, because that's what I've always done

I tried making a Kolsch style lager recently, with Pilsner malt and despite boiling boiling for 90 mins with the lid off, the first two bottles I have tried had a definite whiff of DMS. I have had it once before on a 10L batch of ale, because I put a mesh spatter guard over the pot to keep flies out.

I tried making a Kolsch style lager recently, with Pilsner malt and despite boiling boiling for 90 mins with the lid off, the first two bottles I have tried had a definite whiff of DMS. I have had it once before on a 10L batch of ale, because I put a mesh spatter guard over the pot to keep flies out.

I've never used pilsner malt. I just buy lager malt instead because it's usually a lot cheaper. So Ive never tasted the dreaded DMS

Thanks for the the positive comments on a previous thread I went for the 9ltr brew (thank you Sir, you know who you are:thumb:) The brew is still fermenting away nicely. So I'm hoping that it turns out ok.
So encourage by the (so far) successful and enjoyable experience I'm now working on a retry of the big brother of the 9ltr Midland Mild Ale, the 19ltr which went tidssup last week, here's a sneak peek.
DSC_0052.JPG

Back