First attempt mistakes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftyOtool

Reaction score
I think I may have made a few errors on my first attempt at home brewing. I was so eager to get underway around 6 weeks ago that I didn't notice my stirring spoon wasn't long enough. The result was my fist done as much stirring as the spoon head! :-O . Another error I may have made is checking the fermentation too often. Not tasted it yet but some bottles look clearish but some are very cloudy. do you guys think this batch is contaminated?

Not disheartened if it is. I've just taken delivery of Raja's Reward and a strawberry IPA from the same maker. Oh, and I bought a bigger spoon! :cool:

Another error I may have made is checking the fermentation too often.

I’m going to get a name for myself on this forum about harping on about clear fermenters but...... I can’t recommend them enough! I haven’t been able to shake not having a clear fermenter 10+ years on!

Why would anyone want a clear fermenter?

Personally, I Cold Crash the FV for a few days and then transfer the brew from the FV to wherever it will be served from. The brew is very seldom crystal clear when I transfer it and I often syphon off some of the trub from the FV despite using a filter on the end of the syphon.

On the other hand, a few weeks of Carbonation and Conditioning and the brew normally clears perfectly.

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

Why would anyone want a clear fermenter?

You find something that you really enjoy doing so why would you have a major part of the process behind closed doors!
I know exactly what my garden looks like but I still enjoy having a window in my house to look out onto it.

Thanks for comments. Just tried it and not too bad actually. It was Muntons American IPA. I was expecting it to be a lot lighter in colour like the pic on the box, but very drinkable!

Just poured the Bulldog Raja's Reward into the tub, fingers crossed on that one.

Attachments

• IMG_1048.JPG
    IMG_1048.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 81
You find something that you really enjoy doing so why would you have a major part of the process behind closed doors!
I know exactly what my garden looks like but I still enjoy having a window in my house to look out onto it.

Er ... I was always told that:
  1. The reason we had brown or green bottles for our brews was to prevent "skunking" (i.e. beers with a distinctive wet cardboard flavour that's not very appealing to drink) and that it was caused by exposure to UV.
  2. Many of us ferment on worktops and in open spaces rather than in fridges or closed and dark environments so it seems daft to me to start any exposure to UV early in the process.
  3. I have yet to go to a commercial brewery and see any clear fermentation vessels.
  4. Anyone who thinks that watching a brew ferment for the 336 hours (the period that I normally allow for fermentation) is "enjoyable", is missing something from his or her life.
I rest my case. athumb..

Er ... I was always told that:
  1. The reason we had brown or green bottles for our brews was to prevent "skunking" (i.e. beers with a distinctive wet cardboard flavour that's not very appealing to drink) and that it was caused by exposure to UV.
  2. Many of us ferment on worktops and in open spaces rather than in fridges or closed and dark environments so it seems daft to me to start any exposure to UV early in the process.
  3. I have yet to go to a commercial brewery and see any clear fermentation vessels.
  4. Anyone who thinks that watching a brew ferment for the 336 hours (the period that I normally allow for fermentation) is "enjoyable", is missing something from his or her life.
I rest my case. athumb..
Once you have seen one fermentation, you have seen them all. Unless my yeasties put on top hats and put on a show, I am content to let them do there thing in private. thumb

Anyone who thinks that watching a brew ferment for the 336 hours (the period that I normally allow for fermentation) is "enjoyable", is missing something from his or her life.
For a beginner at homebrewing it's a really important part of understanding the process. Different styles of beer and different yeasts all ferment in different ways. A clear fermenter lets you see that, so when you progress in homebrewing you know the stages that your beer should be at as you'll remember what the process looked like.
I still use them because visually you can tell almost to the point that fermentation levels off completely. No need for opening the fermenter to have a look . You can't rely on the airlock if you're using buckets.

Back