First attempt wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

latchy

Reaction score
Hi,
Got all the gear but no idea.
I made my 1st wine kit on Sunday, so its been fermenting for a couple of days now but no bubbles in the air lock,
20181209_193724.jpg

Have puy too much water in the airlock maybe?

Plastic FV's often leak at the seal so many members never see bubbles through the airlock, if you want to see them next time put some sanitised cling film round the FV rim to make the seal airtight or if making 6 bottle kits use a demijohn as they are 100% airtight.

Having just looked at the picture again you have a hell of a lot of head-space which could be causing the problem as the yeast doesn't produce much CO2 in the first couple of days and that is one big space to fill when it eventually does.

Chardonnay Semillon.
Initially got pinot but when I got it home I found only the juice in the box. Someone must have nicked all the rest of the kit! Last pinot in the shop!!!

I did the cabernet savignon but that went ballistic right from the off. I'd have thought if you've double checked the instructions and everything went in that was supposed to it should be fine,maybe just needs more time,or as already mentioned the lid might be letting co2 out.

I've got a demijohn for the secondary fermentation. Is it too late to transfer it over?

Do the instructions tell you to rack for stabilising and clearing? if they don't you could transfer it now if they do i wouldn't bother.

There is a slight smell of brewing in the room when I go in so it must be getting out somewhere.

20181216_202459[1].jpg
Stage 2. Bubbling away nicely now, obvious that the bucket lid in stage 1 was not a tight seal.
The kit is for 6 bottles, it is clear that there wont be enough at bottling time to fill 6, so would it be ok to top up with water at this stage?

Ta will do. 12 days before it goes back into bucket when the other stuff goes in to clear it before bottling. Top it up then I guess.

Latest posts

Back