First Beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ2You

TJ
Reaction score
I bought a Norfolk dark ale nog, can I do this in a 25 litre bucket, will I still use the air lock? As never have done a beer before, so want to start brewing that too. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully by "bucket" you mean a food grade vessel? If so then it should be fine. The kit probably says it will be ready in a matter of days but it won't! Leave it fermenting for 2 weeks. Try to keep it at 18-20C. Don't let it get much higher. Living room temperature at this time of year should be OK but you might like to wrap it in a jacket or sleeping bag at night to help prevent temperature fluctuations. After 2 weeks you should really take a sample for a day or 3 to make sure the gravity is stable using a hydrometer.
The air lock is unlikely to do much bubbling and will indicate nothing. It may develop a smell of some kind but that will go. Don't keep opening the lid and looking at it. Make sure you keep everything hygienic with boiling water. Avoid bleach and Milton 'cos they need loads of rinsing. Prime, bottle and leave for another 2 weeks. Leave somewhere cool for a further 2 weeks. Drink:beer6:

If you haven't seen this before it might be useful in answering your questions
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
And since this beer kit is in the same range as the Wherry kit which is known for sticking, and assuming you only have a 6g packet of yeast, I suggest you change the yeast to ensure it fully ferments out. Wilko sell a good ale yeast or you can buy ale yeast online from Crossmyloof Brewery. But if it's underway and it does stick try this
Simple strategies for dealing with stuck fermentations

Thank you both so much perhaps I need a solid bung then, yes it’s a 25ltr wine fermenter I have in fact 2 of them, I have a ale yeast from wilko as back up any way, and I shall keep in my man made shed which is at a good temp as I work in there during the day.
We here we go I shall try and do it at the weekend after north London v south London derby early sat morning.

Thanks again guys

We here we go I shall try and do it at the weekend after north London v south London derby early sat morning.

Thanks again guys

Football? We're talking about beer here. You may wish to consider your priorities.:wink:

Latest posts

Back