First BIAB advice!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FridgeSpaceBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all.

On sunday i am attempting my first BIAB. A 10l pale malt (2kg) and cascade SMaSH. Trying to keep it simple. Although i also bought 500g of wheat malt. Would anyone suggest throwing some of that in too or just keep it simple for my first attempt. Thanks in advance

Hi all.

On sunday i am attempting my first BIAB. A 10l pale malt (2kg) and cascade SMaSH. Trying to keep it simple. Although i also bought 500g of wheat malt. Would anyone suggest throwing some of that in too or just keep it simple for my first attempt. Thanks in advance
I would, the wheat will add to your head retention.

I would add 200g, it will also bump up your abv. My only advice is don't get stressed on number's just brew.
First time is only to get a feel, you will make mistakes. It's all a learning curve like most thinks in life

I would add 200g, it will also bump up your abv. My only advice is don't get stressed on number's just brew.
First time is only to get a feel, you will make mistakes. It's all a learning curve like most thinks in life
Yea, not gonna concern myself with numbers. Like you say, just want to get a feel for it. Thanks for the advice pal.

Good luck. Are you aiming for 10 litres in your fermentor. What's you set up
Yeah 10l. I have a few 5l DJs so going to fill 2 of them. I have a 12 litre pot (holds 15l to the brim) from wilko and a bag. Thats pretty much it 😅

That's more than enough. Keep me posted how it goes👍
Will do mate. Might do a brew day post. If i remember to take notes.

I have around 200g of cascade. I quite like a hoppy ale but dont want it over the top. How much would you recommend to use? Would the full 200 be too much?

Personally I don't like and overly bitter beer so I normally save my hops for late boil or dry hop.
I would use 100g of hops

Having moved from kits to extract recently my advice would be to do a dummy run and see how well you can hold a suitable mash temp with your setup, with my first attempt i mashed slightly too hot(70) which resulted in a slightly worse conversion rate. Being an extract bailed me out of the situation but if it was an all grain BIAB i would of been left with a weak beer.

Looking at Brewers Friend if you use all the wheat then you could get a 5.7% with 75% efficiency, So if you end up with a beer near the 5% that would be something to be proud of, do you have a bucket you can dump the grain bag into so you can squeeze as much out? i do this after the mash using my hands and the big plastic paddle i used for stirring the grains. Might seem a little overkill but the more you can get out the better.

Back