First boil in a bag brew - damn, how did that happen!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually aim for a 60min mash, but invariably I get a call from work and it ends up being 90mins or more.
Always seem to hit 70% average, even just using a 'jug sparge' by pouring a couple of liters of water over the draining bag

I like the sound of overnight mashing. Is that with or without heat? Or is it, say heat for an hour or so then leave to soak overnight?
For me this is without heat. I use a separate mash tun and boiler so I mash in, recirculate and make sure the temperature is correct, maybe a degree above. Then I wrap it up and leave overnight - after 8-9 hours it loses about 10 degrees which I am happy with. I know my insulated mash tun will hold temperature without being wrapped up for up to an hour anyway so it is like a normal 60 minute mash for the main part.

Attachments

• IMG_20201211_204920.jpg
    IMG_20201211_204920.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 31
To the original post, @Seghes if you are not happy with the ABV, the easiest solution is to add some sugar during the fermentation (preferably towards the end) to compensate for the missed OG.

Regarding the mash time, I don't rely on the recipe time as the circumstances vary a lot. I use iodine tincture test to check if the conversion is complete. Sometimes 60 min. is okay but often it takes about 75 minutes for the conversion to be completed.

I haven't tried an overnight mash but sounds very attractive.
Good plan about the sugar, Hadn’t heard of the tincture test so looked it up - a cheap way to check, thanks 😊

Back