First brew and what has happened

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
As you know new to forum new to brewing. Apart from FV which is SS conical a have set up AG with second hand gear. GF30 and a fridge with Inkbird. I decided to buy a AG kit from brupacks for start - Crisp Victorian Steam Punk pic attached. Anyway after some faffing (well a lot really) I did the brew on 30 July but started too late (inexperience) in my panic and I learn from this I took a OG reading of 1070 which is too high but at the same time I was having a nightmare with the seal of the FV kept falling out of the lid rim as I placed the lid - I also at this point failed to record the wort volume. US04 pitched at 17. Deciding to cut my losses I put it in the fridge. 5 Aug took Gravity reading 1040 then again 9, 11, 13 Aug all at 1038 - I also had a look inside to see what volume I have which is just under 18L. Doh I know. I want to bottle the beer but obviously the numbers are not correct I have some learning points basic when I look at it now but at the time I was in brain fog - what would the advice be from you - I know some dilute before bottle etc - some leave as is. What do you think I should do. It actually tastes ok if not a bit strong ! Many thanks - any advice I’m all ears
image.jpg

Question is the hydrometer correct, try it in water and see where you are with it

As Clint has said your OG is higher as you have concentrated the wort with a lower volume but the finish FG is way way too high which is why you need to check the hydrometer

So the OG is correct is it down to using 1 packet of yeast why it is stalling as I would have used 2 packets with that OG of 1.070

I would add another but I am not a yeast expert so before you do await a more educated answer which I am sure you will get soon

Hello thanks for the questions - it may be a typo sorry, I used US05 which came with the kit - safAle. Yes the fridge is a converted undercounted and I have a 20w heater in there also. The temp probe is stuck to the side of the FV (which is SS) with plumbers putty about 1/3 way up on the opposite side to the heater area.

I would raise to the temp to 21c for 24 hours to see if it starts again maybe add a little nutrient if you have some and see how it goes if that does not show any life add another yeast and start it at the higher end and slowly bring it down if it starts to re-ferment.
Some brewers also rouse the yeast with a gentle stir so as not to put any oxygen in it

You could also retrospectively correct your OG by adding 3.7L of water whilst you're adding yeast to the brew. This would've lowered you OG of 1.070 down to the target 1.058, and brought your volume up to 21.7L.

Doing it now would adjust your current gravity to around 1.031-2 at 21.7L.

You are currently at 44% attenuation. Quite a way off from the predicted 79%.

Without dilution, you should still be aiming for a FG of 1.014 and a brew of 7.35%

Last edited:
You could also retrospectively correct your OG by adding 3.7L of water whilst you're adding yeast to the brew. This would've lowered you OG of 1.070 down to the target 1.058, and brought your volume up to 21.7L.

Doing it now would adjust your current gravity to around 1.031-2 at 21.7L.

You are currently at 44% attenuation. Quite a way off from the predicted 79%.

Without dilution, you should still be aiming for a FG of 1.014 and a brew of 7.35%
Thanks for the post. I will work with your numbers and understand them. I did read some people add cooled boiled water to the beer just before bottle ! What’s your view on that - I note you say one option is to add it now !
Thanks again

Thanks for the post. I will work with your numbers and understand them. I did read some people add cooled boiled water to the beer just before bottle ! What’s your view on that - I note you say one option is to add it now !
Thanks again
Now would be convenient as you would be opening the fv anyway, if you were adding yeast. Secondly it may help rouse the existing yeast back into suspension.

Otherwise, you can do it at bottling.

I would do as Sadfield has said it will all be done in one and aid the rousing as said

I think you add cooled boiled water because firstly the boiling sanitises the water and secondly it drives off dissolved oxygen which you don't want in your FV or at bottling time.

Back