First brew day in a while - NEIPA type thing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
On Tuesday I brewed up what I am hoping will be a nice hoppy, citrus-ey, tropical type NEIPA. Perks of being a teacher is I get all week off with the kids (!!!!!!!) but the mother in law wanted them on Tuesday (weirdo!) so had a full free day - Bonus!

Had a nice chilled-out brew day with no need to rush around, and just used whatever I had around. Grain bill was 5kg Pale malt, 250g Wheat malt, 250g oats. Hops 30g Chinook at 60 mins, 50g each mosaic and amarillo at 0.

Thanks to another thread I thought I'd play around with the water chemistry, using tesco ashbrook as starting point and getting ppm's up per @Braindead and @asha23 conversation in the Verdant Putty thread page 5.

Brew went well, apart from when I went to move a near boiling urn which was still plugged into the wall. Lucky only got a little spillage on my hand. New, larger (and self made) wort chiller and chilly outdoor temps got the wort down to 25ish C in about 15 minutes which I'm pleased with. 2 points under 1.060 TOG but hey hoo!

Pitched re-hydrated S-04 (was all I could get at short notice) at 22C and is chugging away happily in the FV. The FV is opaque but looks like the krausen has dropped already (not sure though - is this likely/possible).

ADVICE - All I have hops wise is amarillo to dry hop, but last few beers have been amarillo heavy. Any suggestions about what hop I should get to DH this thing? Was thinking galaxy but everywhere seems out of stock.

Most important thing is, after a few months without brewing, got the bug back. Roll on next brew day.

After filling my right Croc shoe with boiling wort I decided that I would:
  1. Never move anything that was hotter than 30*C!
  2. Always wear a decent pair of shoes or boots when brewing!
It took over a year to get rid of the infection that came after the blisters disappeared!

After filling my right Croc shoe with boiling wort I decided that I would:
  1. Never move anything that was hotter than 30*C!
  2. Always wear a decent pair of shoes or boots when brewing!
It took over a year to get rid of the infection that came after the blisters disappeared!
Yet another to add to the list of reasons why men should never wear crocs.

On Tuesday I brewed up what I am hoping will be a nice hoppy, citrus-ey, tropical type NEIPA. Perks of being a teacher is I get all week off with the kids (!!!!!!!) but the mother in law wanted them on Tuesday (weirdo!) so had a full free day - Bonus!

Had a nice chilled-out brew day with no need to rush around, and just used whatever I had around. Grain bill was 5kg Pale malt, 250g Wheat malt, 250g oats. Hops 30g Chinook at 60 mins, 50g each mosaic and amarillo at 0.

Thanks to another thread I thought I'd play around with the water chemistry, using tesco ashbrook as starting point and getting ppm's up per @Braindead and @asha23 conversation in the Verdant Putty thread page 5.

Brew went well, apart from when I went to move a near boiling urn which was still plugged into the wall. Lucky only got a little spillage on my hand. New, larger (and self made) wort chiller and chilly outdoor temps got the wort down to 25ish C in about 15 minutes which I'm pleased with. 2 points under 1.060 TOG but hey hoo!

Pitched re-hydrated S-04 (was all I could get at short notice) at 22C and is chugging away happily in the FV. The FV is opaque but looks like the krausen has dropped already (not sure though - is this likely/possible).

ADVICE - All I have hops wise is amarillo to dry hop, but last few beers have been amarillo heavy. Any suggestions about what hop I should get to DH this thing? Was thinking galaxy but everywhere seems out of stock.

Most important thing is, after a few months without brewing, got the bug back. Roll on next brew day.
The've got Galaxy at the homebrew company.
If you want to stay Australian you could go for Enigma.
Otherwise, Citra isn't a million miles away from Galaxy.

I'm doing a NEIPA next, common DH for a NEIPA are Citra, Galaxy & Mosaic. I could not find any Galaxy when I ordered so I went for Vic Secret instead (a few recommendations as a good substitute for Galaxy). So for my NEIPA i'm DH with Mosaic, Azacca & Vic Secret.

I might be restricted by my LHBS as not sure I'll get order delivered in time to DH. I'll have a look to see what he has in tomorrow.

Nice list. Cheers for the link. I have a ton of Amarillo so might just get some more mosaic and stick with those two as dry hop. Fancy some other combos for future, planned, brews.

so DH last night with 100g of Azacca I managed to get. Not sure if right thing to do but I couldn't resist trying.

Gravity was down from 1.058 to 1.010 so about 6.3% at 82% Att. Trial jar tasted nice, although I am off beer for a few weeks so just a slosh around in the gob and spit out. I couldn't believe my level of self control - didn't know I had it in me!!!!!

How long should I leave the DH in before bottling?

I’d leave the DH in for a week before bottling it. Not done a NEIPA though so not sure if they demand something different.

Sounds like it’s going to be a nice brew.

Fingers crossed. I've done 3 day DH and 1 week DH before and failed to notice much difference to be honest.

Latest posts

Back